Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

His stomach is making really loud noises which is stressing…

His stomach is making...

His stomach is making really loud noises which is stressing him out. Hasn't eaten all day.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** not 100% sure if his age but around 11

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Alfie?

No I'm just a little worried about these noises thank you

3/11/2018
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Usually when there are "noises" there is an increase in gastrointestinal motility from an upset stomach. Is he having any vomiting or diarrhea? How much does he weigh?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He's not sick or diarrhea. But he has been out in the garden more than he normally would. I forgot to mention that he's eating a little bit of grass each time he goes out. I'm not sure of his weight. It's my dad's dog whom I'm looking after while he's away

Okay thank you.

I would try giving him some over the counter medication to help settle his stomach.

Try human 10mg pepcid ac or 75 mg zantac.

You can buy those at the grocery store, walmart, and drug stores.

1/4 of a tablet, per each 10 pounds of dog, every 12 hours.

If he is over 60 pounds he can have a whole tablet every 12 hours.

Once his stomach quiets down, see if he will eat a bland diet of plain cooked chicken breast mixed with plain cooked white rice.

Start with just a few bites.

It sound like he may not be ready to eat until tomorrow.

You can try the chicken and rice then.

Try to keep him from eating grass when he has an upset stomach. That will make his upset stomach worse.

Does that make sense to you? Do you have any other questions I may assist you with?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could I use omeprozole. Or Rennie's?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How long should I let it go on before I take him to the vets?

Omeprazole will take 24 hours to work.

Rennies most likely will not hurt him but it causes acid rebound. It soaks up the acid in the stomach then the stomach just makes more in response.

You could use Pepto bismol, Zantac, or pepcid ac

He does not sound too bad off right now.

If he starts vomiting a lot, having diarrhea, his abdomen appears very bloated, or he does not eat for more than 24 hours he should see the vet.

You can rub some honey on his gums, to help keep his blood sugar up, twice a day until he starts eating again.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you I shall seek out a shop as soon as they open. He'll thank you for the honey advice. I'll call my dad in the morning as you have put my mind at ease that's it's not life threatening. Thank you

You are very welcome. If anything changes, or you have questions later on, feel free to reply again : )

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian