Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I have an older German Shepherd. My vet prescribed Tramadol.

I have an older...

I have an older German Shepherd. My vet prescribed Tramadol. He is incontinent and when I rolled him over to wash him, he has an open ulcer and his genitals are inflammad so I gave him clavamox. I want to know if he can have tramadol for the pain.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he is 12 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Brogan?

He's going to be 13 at the end of the month. I just want to make him comfortable

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Brogan?

I know he doesn't have much long, I just want him to be comfortable.

3/11/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Ok, I gave him 2 clavamox because I noticed an open ulcer and his genitals are swollen

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Brogan has this condition, however, I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Tramadol is an excellent pain killer for dogs, it may well suit your purpose today as it is known to have a wide margin of safety in the dog and should not interfere with healing and is compatible with Clavamox.

2. A usual dose rate under these circumstances would be 2 mg per pound of the dog's body weight given every 8 to 12 hours, but here is a link to an accurate article which covers how this drug is used in dogs: LINK

3. And more information on Clavamox here: LINK

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Brogan's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Thank you very much. I appreciate your help.

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go with Brogan ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Brogan is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning pain relief ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I am grateful for Dr. Scott. He answered my question quickly, and he is knowledgeable and professional. I would definitely use them again. His concerns are genuine, and I appreciate that. Thank you, Dr.Scott.

Thanks so much for your kind comments ...

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?