Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

DR ONLY. TO WAIT *** This should be simple, but I'm finding…

DR BRUCE ONLY. I'M WILLING...
DR BRUCE ONLY. I'M WILLING TO WAIT ***This should be simple, but I'm finding mixed answers:Can a dog (or a cat, for that matter) catch the flu from humans?
3/10/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi again!

Good question. The flu virus is one that keeps mutating and changing at a very rapid pace. It is one that in theory shouldn't have dogs getting flu from people or from a cat. There haven't really been documented cases of this. Here is a great link on canine influenza.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3610

If a person has the flu, it isn't something that any dogs in the immediate environment really need to be worried about.

Here is a great link from the WHO (world health organization) on influenza that helps to give some good background.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/avian_influenza/en/

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you!That really had nothing to do with Teddy. I was talking to a friend on tonight's walk who was worried his mother's dog would catch his mother's flu. I told him it wasn't likely, though it might one day happen.

That is the scary thing with the flu virus. It is so dynamic in its mutations. It just zigs when medicine zags.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian