Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Last night we were trying to get one of our dogs off of the…

Last night we were...

Last night we were trying to get one of our dogs off of the bed when we realized he was tremoring or maybe having a seizure. He wasn't totally out of it, but his eyes were dilated and his limbs were all fairly rigid. This lasted for a couple minutes and then he was very wobbly and on sure of things for a little while. Today he seems fine. He's eaten, I've gone to the bathroom, and even barked and wagged his tail. We live somewhere fairly remote in Alaska, so trying to decide if we should drive 100 miles to see the vet or just wait to see what happens over the weekend.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Chubba, and he's 5

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Chubba

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chubba?

He hasn't had any health issues and is active and happy.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Chubba had an apparent seizure last night. I am sorry to hear about what happened. The main question to ask is if Chubba is ever out of your sight for a prolonged period where additional seizures may be missed?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not really. My husband is a seasonal employee and this is his off season so he's home with him nearly all the time.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He seems fine today, and he didn't become incontinent during the episode or anything.

Thank you for that information. Seizures can be caused by many different things, but idiopathic epilepsy is one of the more common ones in dogs. It is not generally known what causes this, but a misfiring of neurons in the brain results as a seizure. There are other causes as well including autoimmune disorders, infections, or certain other diseases like heart disease or low blood sugar. If it happens to be the idiopathic epilepsy, the determination to treat the seizure is based on how frequent they are occurring. The general rule of thumb is if they are happening more than once per month or more than 3 per year, then they should be treated with an oral medication. Since this appears to be his first one, it would be a reasonable approach to monitor for the next one. As soon as possible, it would be a good idea to have some blood testing performed to make sure it is not an issue with a metabolic disease.

Does that help to answer your question?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We are planning to bring him to the vet Monday unless things worsen or change. For now, he seems like himself so we'll wait and see. If it was something he got into ( which I'm not sure how that would have happened because my husband was with him most of the day and night last night), he wouldn't be improving, correct?

Toxins that cause seizures are usually the snail bait or some mouse poisons. They tend to cause multiple seizures if the dose is high enough to cause one. Therefore, I do not think this sounds like a toxin, but still something to look out for.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I'm here to help. You have no the questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
***** *****
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Veterinarian