Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I found a big black hard cyst growing on his upper leg. It's…

I found a big...

I found a big black hard cyst growing on his upper leg. It's starting to bleed a little. My dog is showing no signs of pain and not licking the area. This cyst appeared very rapidly. He is 15 yr old papillon. Last month he lost a toenail in the backyard. I thought it might have caught on some debris. Today I looked at the toe closer and I am seeing a similar cyst growing there. I emailed my vet for an appointment for Monday morning.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Jerry, 15

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jerry?

He has always been in good health

3/10/2018
Dwight Alleyne

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? As he ever had the lumps in the past? Are you able to take a picture of the area?

No, never....yes..let me take a pic.

Okay that will be great

Oh okay I only see one picture currently

They look similar
It seems to appear as if it bleeding very slow and hardening. Hence why it is appearing black, perhaps.

Ok thank you . Is the picture that you have posted the picture of the cyst on the leg correct? I can't tell the orientation since it is zoomed in. The black may be because it may be trying to form a scab

I had it close to his leg. It the size of a Brazilian nut.

Okay it does look pretty large when I am comparing it to your thumb. Is the one on the toe the same color as well? Common growths that can occur in older dogs can include some warts that can grow rather quickly and bleed pretty easily because they make the skin very fragile. But I would also be concerned about any type of skin tumor. When you see your veterinarian they may recommend either getting a sample with a needle or having a biopsy of the area just to make sure especially since it seems to be growing so rapidly

the toenail came completely off about 3 weeks ago. When I look at it now. It looks like a small black nub about the size of q-tip head growing, but no blood.
For his age, I'm wondering if it can be cancerous.
Should I try to bandage the area, or leave it alone?

Yes that is certainly a concern for older dogs that develop skin growths. But it can be easily tested for by your veterinarian to rule it out. As far as the toe nail if it came off due to trauma what you may be seeing is the quick or the main blood supply to the nail bed. It may take some time for the nail to grow back. .As far as the area is concerned I would just apply some pressure to it for a few minutes then leave it alone unless it starts to bleed again

Ok, thank you all your help. Really appreciate it.

You are welcome. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns

In advance, Thanks for giving a rating! Ratings are how I receive credit for helping you today and help me better serve customers in the future.

If you need further assistance for this problem before or after rating feel free to ask a follow up and I'll be
glad to help.

Thanks Dr. Alleyne

Dwight Alleyne