Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Our mini Australian shepherd ate 3 small chocolate truffles.

Our mini Australian shepherd...

Our mini Australian shepherd ate 3 small chocolate truffles. He's about 40 pounds. Should I rush him to the vet. He seems to be doing fine.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Dexter

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dexter?

No, he's as healthy as can be.

3/10/2018
Dwight Alleyne

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long ago did he eat the truffles? Do you know how many grams each chocolate is?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm guessing about an hour to 2 hours ago. Not sure how many grams are in one truffle. It's a little bit bigger than a Hershey kiss, I think.

What is the name and brand of the truffle? I can see if I can find the information out for you ? Was it dark chocolate or milk chocolate?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's Le Grand confectionary. The flavors are tiramisu, black forest, and chocolate decadence. I think they're all milk chocolate.

Okay it sounds like a custom chocolate company. It seems like the average truffle contains about 15 grams of chocolate. So Dexter may have eaten approximately 45 grams of milk chocolate. You usually don't see any major issues unless they eat about 180 mg of chocolate typically a whole box of milk chocolate. So he should be fine. If anything you may notice mild diarrhea that is self limiting if even that much

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, thank you. We'll make sure to watch him for any signs of distress. Thank you again.

No problem. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns

In advance, Thanks for giving a rating! Ratings are how I receive credit for helping you today and help me better serve customers in the future.

If you need further assistance for this problem before or after rating feel free to ask a follow up and I'll be
glad to help.

Thanks Dr. Alleyne

Dwight Alleyne
Dwight Alleyne
Dwight Alleyne
Dwight Alleyne