Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Our little old dog drowned two days ago and I can’t get over…

Our little old dog...

Our little old dog drowned two days ago and I can’t get over the grief or the terror that he suffered. We rescued him and only had him for a year. He was always weak, never ate well and I think was pretty senile. He was also almost entirely deaf with bad eyesight. The night before he died he paced all night long. By 6am I got up to let him out. He went outside at about60

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Sorry - didn’t finish my message. He went outside at about 6.05 and I was with him. I turned to see where my other dog was and when I turned back round couldn’t see Billy. He never ever leaves the grass and is in the garden all the time with me and the other dogs (he moves super slowly and never goes near the pool. When I wasn’t on the grass I looked at the pool and saw nothing in it and no moment. I walked round the other aide of the house where he usually goes and saw nothing. When I went right up to the side of the pool I saw him floating there face down. We pulled him out and tried to revive him. No water seemed to come out at all but there was some blood dripping from his mouth. He was just over 10 pounds and 15/16 years old. I’m guessing when he went in he wasn’t able to struggle at all and it totally breaks my heart that he suffered. Would it have been quick and peaceful? I remember looking at the clock when my husband was trying to revive him and it was 6.24 so everything happened so quickly. I feel heartbroken for him.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

No I don’t think so - as I mentioned he was old and weak and walked incredibly slowly. I don’t even understand how he was able to get to the pool in the time we were out there. The most he would ever do is move a few steps forward or backwards to sniff the grass.

3/10/2018
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I am so sorry for the loss.

It sounds like he has a lot of issues that may have led him to the drowning. My suspicions lead me to this idea. Being blind and having Canine Cognitive Disease and Sundowners, I am sure was at fault. He could not see and was confused and most likey slipped into to pool and his heart gave out.

It sounds like you did all you could for him and he had a long life being well loved. I know this does not stop the pain, but I feel his passing was quick and painless.

He may have even know it was his time and wandered off to pass.

I know this is a hard time for you, but the time he had with you he knew love.

Please hit rely and we can discuss this. I know that your heart is full with grief, but I hope I have helped.

Joan

he didn’t have cognitive disease or sundowners as far as I know. He was almost entirely deaf and had very bad eyesight. He was also very much in his own world (spent all the time sleeping, often he would sit up and just stare at the wall) because he was pacing all night the night before and didn’t sleep. Is it possible something was going on and he knew it was is time? If he had simply got confused and walked into the pool would he have been aware and scared or would it have been too quick for any of that? If he had been fighting for breath and drowned wouldn’t water have come out when we tried to revive him?

The sitting and staring and Pacing are all signs of Sundowners and CCDS. We see it in older dogs. This comes with age and it does cause some confusion and with the eyesight issue it just complicated the situation.

It is very possible he knew it was his time and wandered off. As far as when you pulled him out of the water, I suspect he passed immediately when he fell in upon hitting the water. All this is speculation based on what you have posted.

Joan

Thank you so much Joan. I know we can never know for sure but I really appreciate your help and comfort. I miss him terribly but my utmost concern is that he didn’t suffer.

I belive that there was no suffering and passed quickly without suffering. I know it does not stop the grief, but I do hope it was some comfort to speak with me today. If I have been of comfort and help, please take a moment to let the site know by rating my service.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Vet Tech