Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog may or may not have eaten the wax off of a piece of…

My dog may or...

My dog may or may not have eaten the wax off of a piece of cheese. She weighs about 15lbs. This would probably be equivalent to the wax off 1.5 of those mini babybell cheeses. Not sure if I need to take her to the vet right away, or just keep an eye out for signs of an intestinal blockage.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Maisie, about 9 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maisie?

Not that I can think of

3/10/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now thankfully this wax is not toxic and they can usually digest it. It is possible to see blockages with large amounts eaten but this is uncommon and less of a worry with this much. Therefore, we'd not be overly worried here and only suspect we could see mild short term GI upset. So while we could induce vomiting if you think she had this in the past 30 minutes (which I am happy to discuss), we don't strictly need to. You can choose to just take things easy and monitor for today. As well to offset any GI upset, you can consider offering a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Furthermore, fiber (ie canned pumpkin) can be added to these meals to help push the wax through and will counter loose stools.

Finally just to be safe, while blockage is less of a worry here, I do just want to note some signs to keep an eye for over today. Red flags of trouble or obstruction include restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, anorexia, pale gums, belly pain, or straining to pass feces. If you see these signs, then having her seen would be ideal but again this is a less likely issue from her potentially eating this.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

*************************

Afterwards please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping pets here. : )**

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Alright, thank you

You are very welcome, my dear. :)
Have a lovely day,
Dr. B.

**************************

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hi Dan,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian