Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Well kinda a lot. He is a Rhodesian and has dog Al. ALS He…

Well kinda a lot ...

Well kinda a lot

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

He is a Rhodesian and has dog Al

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

ALS He has no pain at all But he is paralized in his hand legs

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the dog's name and age?

Hind legs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

His name is ***** ***** he is 12 Not really. I wash hi

3/10/2018
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. I am sorry your question was not picked up sooner. Do you still need help with this? IF so I need you to answer some questions for me.

When did this start? Did you notice rear leg lameness before this happened?

Have you seen your Vet prior to this? If so what was diagnosis?

Have you found any ticks on him?

Is he mot standing at all on his read legs or once you get him up he can stand and move?

No ticks, this has been a year long progression of disability. He no longer is able to use his rear legs. And he has lost all muscle tone in them. I wash him daily to make sure he doesn't get urine scald he is very clean and kept dry. He is in good spirits and seems to be happy being with the family.

Thank you. this breed is prone to degenerative Myelopathy which is a progressive disease of the spinal cord. It eventually shows loss of use in the rear legs. There is not really an effective treatment for this, should this be the problem. Physical therapy, slings to help the owner get the dog around and maybe a few vitamen supliments for dogs may be prescribed.

Here is a bit more on degenerative myelopathy

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/degenerative-myelopathy-in-dogs/

they are also prone to hip dysplasia which would show signs of trouble getting up and walking, but you are saying he is not walking so I would think it would be degenerative myelopathy.

I would keep doing what you are doing in keeping him clean and comfortable. Maybe you can find an acupuncturist to come to the home and see if they can help.

Thanks for that information. Also, yesterday he had a rather large sebascious cyst pop out if him. It was about 1/2" wide but about 2" deep. I have packed the wound with antibiotic ointment and have washed it with betadine. I intend to keep it open and let it heal on its own

As long as it is draining it should do well that way. Applying a warm washcloth to the area can help drain out an infection.

FYI, I did try vitamins specific to his condition.But they were of no help. I know he won't be with me much longer, frankly I didn't think he'd be here this long. But as long as he shows "happiness" I don't see the need to put him down.

You are a very loyal human to him, as loyal as I am sure he is to you.

He doesn't seem to be in pain

Likely not if the spinal cord is affected he is not feeling much.

Ownership is a serious commitment. A lifelong commitment
Good. I am going to keep a close watch on how this disease progresses. When he has serious difficulty with breathing\kidney issues or anything involving vital organs, I believe that will be time
Thank you for your time. You've been very helpful

Yes, I would agree with you. I am so sorry you are going through this as it is not easy. I will keep you in my thoughts.

I consider it a privilege to care for him . Thanks again for your advise

you are welcome.

Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Where do I go to rate your service. You were very helpful

Thank you for the wonderful rating.