Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My little chihuahua ate a small piece of marijuana and is…

My little chihuahua ate a...
My little chihuahua ate a small piece of marijuana and is very jumpy and skiddish. What can I do? I’m kind of freaking out
3/10/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How long ago did this happen { How many minutes or hours ago }?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I believe it was ate roughly 2 hours ago. We didn’t notice until she wouldn’t eat dinner and seems to jump scaredly at everything

Hello again,

Based on what you have told me so far if this was only a very small piece of marijuana then I would say that most likely your dog is not at any great risk from this incident, however, I have worked out a fuller answer for you below.

1. You see the situation is that marijuana is actually not that poisonous to dogs, in fact, it takes about 1.5 grams of marijuana per pound of body weight to cause death. So hopefully in Mocha's case, you will not see any serious symptoms and she will start to recover over the next 12 hours or so as the drug drains naturally from her system.

2. In my experience deaths from marijuana poisoning in dogs are not common, in fact I have never seen any, but adverse symptoms such as animals becoming sleepy, vomiting, and having uncoordinated walking is common, it is surprising how often dogs get access to this drug, so these things are well documented.

3. While there are no guarantees, in my experience the vast majority of dogs exposed to marijuana fully recover within 24 hours without any treatment. However some dogs which took a large dose would experience very bad symptoms and would then require hospitalisation, and intensive care with IV fluids etc.

4. All you need do for now is just to keep an eye on your dog as she recovers and of course call an ER vet if things are getting worse, but this would be unlikely. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Mocha's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you very much I will give you a good rating. Is it ok to just let her rest and sleep it off?

No problem, very glad to be advising you and thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Sure, as long as serious symptoms have not occurred then in most cases the dog will just sleep it off.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks. One more question. What would signs of serious symptoms look like?

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

Well anything from a coma downwards, but follow this link for an accurate article which covers this toxicity in depth: LINK

Regards,

Dr Scott