Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Normal routine for my Frenchie Rainer is we get up in the…

Normal routine for my Frenchie...
Normal routine for my Frenchie Rainer is we get up in the morning, I feed him, he goes potty, and then he sits on the couch until I leave for work. This morning I came out of the bathroom after I fed him, normally when I will let him out to potty, and I didn’t see him anywhere. I eventually found him in the spare room in his crate. He just turned 2 and has never just climbed into his crate. He hadn’t eaten, and he was just sitting there. It was exceptionally cold this morning so I thought maybe he was just really cold and went to his crate since it’s very close to a heater duct. I come home from work and he’s just very slow moving. He still hadn’t eaten. I let him outside and he pottied 1 and 2. He would take a few steps and it’s almost like he was squatting to poop, but more like he was sitting down. He did that about 4 times. He came inside slowly, and I was able to have him eat some of his soft food. Now he’s just sitting on the couch with me. He’s normally very playful and reactive to animals on tv and he’s just not acting like himself at all. Is he in pain? Thank you for your time.
Respectfully,
Michael Lunn
3/10/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm so sorry to hear your dog does not seem to be feeling well. Based on all you describe, it does sound to me like he's having some abdominal pain. Some causes of abdominal pain include acid reflux, pancreatitis, ingestion of a foreign body, gall and bladder stones, or an infection somewhere. Since there are so many things that could be going, the best thing would be to get him to the vet for an exam and some testing, including blood work and abdominal x-rays. It also sounds like he needs pain meds, as well.

Thank you for your response. I will make an appointment ASAP for him to be seen. I’ve just been reading a lot about IVDD and it being a more common thing in the French Bulldog breed. I did recently change his food, but he didn’t get sick or act differently the first time I gave it to him so I thought it seemed alright. Is there anything over the counter I can give him to make him more comfortable until the morning? Thank you for your time.

You are correct that IVDD is certainly possible and is causing the pain. It can be difficult to discern between back pain and abdominal pain. Unfortunately, there is nothing over-the-counter that I can recommend giving that I can guarantee the safety of. I'm so sorry about that. I hope he can get in to the vet soon.

I have an appointment for 830 tomorrow morning. Just talked to my vet.

Excellent. I hope it goes well and he starts feeling better. And, if you think I have been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating. Or, if you have any other questions or concerns, I would be happy to continue our conversation.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Veterinarian