Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog has been found to have a vaginal mass. She has been…

Customer Question
My dog has been...

My dog has been found to have a vaginal mass. She has been spayed, we are now waiting for biopsy results. Since November she has had s discharge and had 2 lots of antibiotics. Obviously dependant on the tumour what treatment could she have and how successful is it?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 7 1/2 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ruby?

She has been losing weight but they are not sure if this is a malabsorption problem following pancreatitis in November. She had a mast cell tumour removed from her elbow about 5 years ago

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog
3/10/2018
Dog Specialist: Tom Crippen, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Tom Crippen
Tom Crippen, Veterinarian

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'm a veterinarian, I'll try to help you.

So I think the first thing to say is, as you say in your question, it very much depends on the type of tumor, size of tumor, it's location and it's malignancy potential.

Without this information it is very difficult to be specific so I can give an outline of some of the treatments available for tumors, it depends on the results as to which is most appropriate for your dog.

Surgery - if a tumor is unlikely to have spread and is physically capable of being removed.

Chemotherapy - using drugs to kill the tumor cells, this sounds scarey but most of our patients tollerate it well, individual tumors require individual chemotherapy protocols. These days there are very good chemo protocols for quite a few tumors. Not all tumors respond to chemotherapy though.

Radiotherapy - radiation is used to kill the cancer cells.

There are some newer treatments for specific tumors like immunotherapy and antibody therapy too.

I'm more than happy to comment further when you get the results back as these are key really as I can then give you a run down on specific protocols and eg drugs that might be used and also how succesful those treatments might be.

Thanks, ***** ***** BVSc MRCVS

If you feel my answer has helped please leave a 5* rating.