Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog has a swollen nipple, Kiki she is a rescue and

Customer Question
My dog has a...

My dog has a swollen nipple

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Kiki she is a rescue and estimating age is 5 years of age

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Kiki

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kiki?

She is not spayed and she has not had a cycle recently. She has zero contact with outside dogs. Cemented highballs not concerned at all for pregnancy.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog
3/9/2018
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 4 months ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

Is it just a mipple or the whole breast?

Does it appear to perhaps have an overgrowth of nipple tissue?

Are any other breasts or nipples swollen?

When was her last heat cycle?

Which breast is it?

Has she ever been pregnant before that you know of?

Has never been pregnant her breaded abondoned her because she could not get pregnant. She has zero contact with dogs that are not spayed. I work from home and am with her every second of the day. Pregnancy ruled out ��. Here is a picture it’s only this one.
Her urine has no blood no issues with her urine and last heat cycle ink. This is her normal she may have one and some tomes she does not.

I am typing your reply now. How long since her last heat cycle? I do understand she can NOT BE pregnant. Just need that information.

a year ago was her last heat cycle. Since i have had her it’s about every other year she has only had 2 heat cycles and I have had her 3 years.

Even if a dog is not bred, they can still sometimes experience a false pregnancy. That can cause the breasts to become enlarged. However, I would expect a rear teat to become a little swollen rather than one more to the center. Now sometimes dogs have silent heats where you will not even know they went into heat. This might have happened with her.

Since it is a single nipple, I would worry about a possible breast infection. When a dog is not spayed, the hormones go through shifts during the heat cycles and that can lead to infections. A scratch to the nipple can also allow bacteria to enter the nipple and glands leading to infection. It might also be the start of a mammary tumor. You can read about both of these conditions here:

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/breeding/mastitis.htm

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1638&articleid=460

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/mastitis-in-dogs/

If the vet is open tomorrow, you might let them take a quick look, otherwise, monitor over the weekend and if it does not improve, then have her seen next week.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Hi Again,
I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful. If so I hope you will take the opportunity to let me know if this was helpful to you.