Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Both my dogs ate some blood and bone garden fertalizer is…

Customer Question
Hi both my dogs...

Hi both my dogs ate some blood and bone garden fertalizer is this harmful to them

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

I have a 9yr old staff named lilo and 1yr american staffy named mystique

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Lilo and mystique

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog
3/9/2018
Dog Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Both organic and inorganic fertilizers may cause transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea and not need treatment but the organic ones such as those containing blood, bone, or feather meal may contain enough iron to cause iron toxicity. These fertilizers contain concentations of equal to or in excess of 5% iron. Please check the label of your product and let me know. Clinical signs of iron toxicity usually occur within 2-10 hours of ingestion and include salivation, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal discomfort, and anorexia.

hi i have checked the label and it is organic and one of my dogs has had abdominal bloating and diarrhea but they have both been drinking lots of water

Thank you for the additional information. Drinking excessively is important as it replaces water lost into the GI tract and then eliminated as diarrhea. Whether or not iron toxicity arose would necessitate diagnostics in the form of a complete blood count, biochemical analysis, venous glood gas analysis and serum analysis for total iron.

There are four stages of iron toxicity. In the first stage (0-6 hours post-ingestion) vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, GI hemorrhage, and abdominal pain are seen. In the second stage (6-24 hours post ingestion) apparent recovery is seen. In the third stage (12-96 hour post-ingestion) vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, GI hemorrhage, shock, tremors, and abdominal pain arise once again. In the fourth stage, GI obstruction from stricture formation is a secondary effect of the massive mucosal damage that occurs early in the syndrome. The above is what you need to be aware of if your dogs aren't being monitored by a vet.

Please continue our conversation if you wish. I have to leave my computer for a few hours but promise to reply as soon as I return if need be.