Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My daughter in law left a whole bag of pretzels on the

Customer Question
My daughter in law...

My daughter in law left a whole bag of pretzels on the floor, i come home snd the dog aye over 90% of a pound of damn pretzels

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

Nothing yet

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

It just happened in the last ten minuted

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Guilty expression, lazy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the dog eating normally?

I would have given her dinner but now im thinking i shouldnt

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the dog having trouble peeing or pooing?

Its been ten minutes. I wont know yet

Veterinarian's Assistant: How is the dog behaving differently?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious behavior changes. What is the dog's name and age?

Sophia, 85lb Pit/lab 5yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sophia?

Sorry i lost you. Battery

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog
3/9/2018
Dog Specialist: Dr. Schmidt, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. I would suspect that she is going to have some GI upset, specifically vomiting and diarrhea over the next 24-48 hours or so. I would hold off on any more food tonight, but start the following measures to help counteract this. If she gets to the point where she cannot hold food down, I would take her in to the vet for supportive care.

I would give her Pepcid (0.25 mg/lb) every 12 hours for the next few days and start this tonight. It is an antacid that can help decrease the acidity in the stomach and help with GI upset. I would feed boiled chicken and white rice for the next few days but start this tomorrow morning. It is a bland diet that can help when they are having GI upset. You can also syringe feed some Pedialyte to help with hydration, I would give 1/2 of a cup every 4-6 hours tonight. I would also start her on Metamucil 1 capsule once a day, start in the morning. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Veterinarian