Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

FOR DR. ONLY. TO WAIT ** Again I remind you that I am not…

FOR DR. BRUCE ONLY. I...
FOR DR. BRUCE ONLY. I AM WILLING TO WAIT **Hi again,Again I remind you that I am not used to dogs at all, so this might be a basic -- or even silly -- question. But here goes.For the last day and a half or so, Teddy has the absolute worst flatulence I've ever smelled. This hasn't been something he has had before, as far as I know.He doesn't seem to be uncomfortable or anything, though that fact amazes me. I guess I'm asking you this stuff for my own benefit, though I do want to know if there's something wrong with him.Nothing in the way of food has changed at all, so I'm at a loss to explain what caused it.So: Is this abnormal? Is there something I should do to prevent it from happening again? Any clue why this happens?
3/8/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi!

The only silly question is the one that isn't asked! :) Flatulence can be due to something new with the gastrointestinal tract. I would question if maybe he's getting a new treat or into some other food source (cat food, people food). For the most part, flatulence by itself isn't anything to get worried about (not that it is enjoyable). As long as the stools are normal and he's eating well, then it is something that may get better here with a little time.

His stools are quite normal. Nothing new to eat as far as I know, though I may have gone overboard with the Beggin' Strips yesterday, giving him three or four more than he's used to. The only other thing he could have eaten would be while he was nosing around in the grass and weeds on all of our walks.I won't worry about it unless he has other symptoms. But I will pray it gets better soon! It's far too cold up here this week for me to open a bunch of windows! :-)Thanks. You've once again made me feel more competent in the role of babysitter. :-)
Oh, jeez. I hate that JustAnswer changed this thing. Please reply so I can pay you.

The Beggin Strips in excess may have been the root of the increased flatulence. Getting them back to a more normal amount may be the key here. That is great that the stools are normal as that indicates that the gastrointestinal tract isn't that off. On the walks, could he have found something that caused this? For my own dog, it is the little crabapples. She likes to sneak those and that can throw off her intestinal tract. The warmer weather is coming, but not here yet so keep the windows closed to stay warm and I hope the air gets fresher! :) You're doing great with the baby sitting!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian