Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

He's not responding to steroids vet put him on for MMM.

Customer Question
He's not responding to...

He's not responding to steroids vet put him on for MMM

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Tedashii 2yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tedashii?

It started with him limping 6 wks ago

Veterinarian's Assistant: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Had xrays done .. nothing broken or fractured Put him on pain meds Then his jaw started hurting him to the point he can't chew regular dog food or bark or play

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog
3/8/2018
Dog Specialist: Dr. Rachel, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Tedashii is not feeling well. This sounds like masticatory myositis. The masticatory part refers to the muscles involved in chewing. Myositis means muscle inflammation. With this condition, the immune system starts attacking the muscle fibers of the jaw, causing them to become inflamed and painful. The cause of this condition is unknown but recovery is possible. The treatment is steroids (prednisone) at doses high enough to suppress the immune response.

Sometimes another medication is needed to control the immune response, such as azathioprine or cyclosporine. Has your vet talked to you about those?

Another thing that can cause lameness and generalized body ache is tick-borne diseases, which can be diagnosed by blood work. If he does not respond to adding in some other meds to his prednisone, I recommend that your vet check his tick titers.