Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I am reading a past post on Benadryl and dog aspirin

Customer Question
Hey there. I am...

Hey there. I am reading a past post on Benadryl and dog aspirin together. I am giving my 25lb Shiba 120mg dog aspirin by GNC. -that is for the inflammation. I want to help with the itching. I know 1mg per pound, so I give one tablet of Benadryl. The thing I'm curious about is how often it is ok to give. Is it ok to give it every 8 hrs like I read in other posts.. or was that dosage suggested because of the size of dog?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

Info above :)

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

He isn't 'in pain' as much as uncomfortable and inflamed skin due to itching. His skin is very red and he is itching. Shaking from being so uncomfortable. I do have an appointment with the vet for Monday. Just trying to make it thru the weekend

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?

Bruno and he is almost 4

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bruno?

He isn't neutered. He is on topical flea meds

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog
3/8/2018
Dog Specialist: Joan, Vet Tech replied 4 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a vet tech for 35+ years. I would like to assist you.

The Benedryl is used to every 8-12 hours.as needed . The Aspirin should be buffered and given with food. You can give the Aspirin short term evey 12 hours as 5 mgs per pound.

There are better medication that can be prescribed for both the itching and the pain by your Vet.

Please hit reply for further questions and concerns.

Joan