Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

He’s started coughing in the morning and it sounds like a…

He’s started coughing in...

He’s started coughing in the morning and it sounds like a wet cough. He did it nonstop for an hour and eventually stops but he still coughs every few hours.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?

Lucky and he is 13 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucky?

He did recently have surgery a year back for bladder stones though i dont think that might be a factor

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Lucky. While any age dog can cough due to a simple respiratory infection such as the infectious tracheobronchitis complex, I need to consider more dire causes of coughing in a 13 year old - advanced cardiopulmonary disorders such as congestive heart failure, chronic sterile bronchitis, heartworm disease, pneumonias, and neoplasia in the chest cavity. Lucky's vet will want to carefully auscultate (listen to) and X-ray his chest as part of a thorough physical exam.

Has Lucky been exposed to other dogs in a dog park, groomer, or kennel?

No he has not been exposed to any other dogs at a kennel but he is exposed to other dogs when he is at the groomer which he was recently at last Saturday

Ah! The incubation period for kennel cough is 3-10 days and that infection then needs to be considered. In most cases it will go into remission within 1-3 weeks unaided but because of Lucky's age his vet is likely to prescribe one of the antibiotics of choice - doxycline or amoxicillin/clavulanate - to address Bordetella bronchiseptica - the main infectious agent in the infectious tracheobronchitis complex ("kennel cough"). Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

For Lucky’s age, would a kennel cough be considered dangerous for his age? Also if unaided and going back into remission, does that mean theres a chance of it coming back?

Yes, dogs immunocompromised by age (very young or very old) are more likely to end up with pneumonia. All dogs who recover can contract this infection again as immunity tends to wane by 6 months following recovery. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Would it be recommended to have him see a vet/emergency room as soon as possible or can we take him in the morning when our family vet can offer a walk-in consultation?

In the case that Lucky's coughing isn't related to kennel cough, it would be prudent to have him attended to by a vet at your earliest convenience. Please check a few things for me...

1) Check his gum and tongue color. They should be nicely pink - not whitish (anemia) or bluish/greyish (cyanosis/hypoxia/lack of oxygen to his tissues).

2) Check his respiratory rate at rest. He should be taking less than 30 breaths/minute while asleep or at rest.

3) Take his rectal temperature. Any body thermometer will do when placed 1.5" into his rectum for 1 minute. Normal is 100.5-102.5F. This is a two person job!

Please let me know what you find.

I just did the following and:1) His gum and tongue color is it’s usual pink.2) His respiratory rate is 27 breath/minute right now3) His temperature reads at 101.4 degrees

Well done! I don't see any urgency at this time. A tomorrow morning vet visit should suffice. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Thank you so much! Your responses have been of great help for my dog!

You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Hello Dr. I just wanted to send this message as a follow-up for Lucky. It is indeed a case of the Kennel Cough so he was given the appropriate medicine for treatment. Thank you so much again for helping us!

Thank you for the good update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?