Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Older female dog pawing at mouth like trying to get

Customer Question
Older female dog pawing...

Older female dog pawing at mouth like trying to get something out

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

She seems to be having tooth pain

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Gypsy more than 10 n

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Gypsy?

More than 10 years not sure of exact age

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gypsy?

Teeth have been ground down before I got her

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog
3/7/2018
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 1 month ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

At her age, you are very likely correct to assume it is tooth pain. Check her mouth for red or swollen gums, broken teeth or black gums and growths. Look for swelling under the jaw or eyes as that would indicate an abscess as well. You can also look for trapped food in the gums or sores in the mouth. If you are unable to really check to well, you are going to have to have gypsy seen by your vet as soon as possible.

In the meantime, buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5 mg per pound every 12 hours for pain. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to give aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen. Read side effects and precautions here.

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin

If aspirin is used, your vet may not be able to prescribe other drugs until it clears from your dog's system. I'd probably hold off on the aspirin if you are going to get your dog in pretty quickly. The aspirin may make her more comfortable for the night however.

Sometimes dogs will paw at the mouth if they have burned it with food that is too hot or eaten something they are allergic to. the muzzle gets itchy and they paw at it. If you think that is a possibility, benadryl can be given at a dosage of 1-2mg per pound every 8 hours.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

I thought I'd write a quick note to see how things are going. Did you find my answer helpful? I'd love to know. If you did find my responses helpful, I would appreciate a 5 star rating so I can continue to help others. Please let me know.