Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog hal has been having diarrhea and vomiting for a

Hi. my dog hal has...
Hi. my dog hal has been having diarrhea and vomiting for a little while. The vomiting luckily has subsided and he is able to drink comfortably but he is still having potty issues. My issue now is that in areas where he has thrown up on my carpet, he keeps licking them and even biting the carpet to try to eat it. I cleaned it with water but because he chews the carpet I am hesitant to clean it with a cleaning product because I don't want him to ingest it and get more sick. Is there something I can do to deter him from chewing the spots on the carpet? Or some kind of dog-friendly cleaning product I can put on it? Could chewing the carpet be contributing to his potty troubles?
3/6/2018
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. I am sorry that your question was not picked up sooner.

Licking at carpet is a good indication of nausea, however because he is going back to the spot where he vomitied there must be some odor there. You can add some white vinegar to water and wash the area. This should take out any odor he is picking up. If that does not work I would get some Grannicks Bitter apple from the pet store and use that to spray the area as it is a deterrent to dogs.

If he is eating the carpet it can be causing issues with diarrhea, but the vomiting and diarrhea may indicate an obstruction of something else he may have eaten that was not a food item. This can be clothing, toys, rawhides, bones etc. So if you are aware of him eating non food items it might be a good idea to have him checked by your vet if the vomiting and diarrhea continue.

Parasites and protazoa can also cause what you are seeing so it may be worth dropping off a stool sample for testing.

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

You can request me at this link in the future. http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-2ndchances/

Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
I'm just following up on our conversation about Hal. How is everything going?
DakotaSouthFive
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant