Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Got a hold of some bimectin (ivermectin) paste for horses.

Got a hold of...

Got a hold of some bimectin (ivermectin) paste for horses. now she is having trouble standing and walking. how can i get her to throw it up.

3/6/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
having trouble stand, staggers when walking and can't see.

These are all typical symptoms of an ivermectin toxicity. I would strongly recommend that you have your companion examined and treated at your local veterinary ER. If this cannot happen, she needs to see your vet once they open in the morning. At this stage, she is likely going to need not only IV fluid therapy and monitoring but also active charcoal administration. Your vet may wish, also, to refer her for an ophthalmological visit as some cases of ivermectin toxicity do not resolve with time. It may take weeks or months before the symptoms resolve, if they resolve. Blindness can be permanent.

If you need help finding a local veterinary ER, please let me know. I'll need your city and state.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what is active charcoal

Activated charcoal is a liquid medication that is given to dogs to coat the GI tract and prevent further absorption of ingested toxins. The longer she goes without this medication the more ivermectin will be in her system. In a situation like this, sooner is better than later.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can i get this at a pet store for i don't have the money for the vet until i get paid at the end of the month

I would recommend looking in to financial aid and financing options:

Red Rover: https://redrover.org/find-financial-assistance-veterinary-care

Best friends: http://bestfriends.org/resources/financial-aid-pets

AVMA: https://www.avma.org/public/YourVet/Pages/Financial-assistance-for-veterinary-care-costs.aspx

HSUS: http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_veterinary_care.html

PAWS: https://www.paws.org/cats-and-dogs/other-services/help-with-veterinary-bills/

Your dogs friend: http://yourdogsfriend.org/we-recommend/need-help-paying-vet-bills/

AFRP: https://www.animalfriendsrescue.org/financialassistance.html

Speaking for Spot: http://speakingforspot.com/?p=Financial%20Assistance%20for%20Veterinary%20Care

2 options for financing include www.carecredit.com and www.scratchpay.com. Both of these companies have low interest APR rates (starting at 5%) and allow you to pay for a vet bill over 6-24 months.

If you must treat from home, you can purchase activated charcoal capsules at your local pharmacy. You'll need to give 5 grams/10 pounds of weight.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok thank you so much

You're welcome. Good luck!

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse