Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I have an A American Pitbull Terrier female 3 years old 54…

I have an A...

I have an A American Pitbull Terrier female 3 years old 54 days almost 45 days tomorrow in gestational in her pregnancy she's been showing signs of labor her temperatures drop to 98.7 and back up to 99.5 over the last 24 hours I'm concerned but don't have the funds to see the vet the puppies are all moving she's not discharging anything can the puppies survive

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?

Nope she's up to date on all vaccinations healthy we better on all of the red regimens feeding schedule on high quality dog food puppy food actually she's perfect

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I need to add this is her second liter. And she will be 55 days tomorrow
3/5/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time? Is a temp drop the only sign you've witnessed so far?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No she is also very restless she hasn't begun needing or trying to Nest or anything although she did get a full night sleep last night no puppies as of yet very thankful for that as Morning has rolled around so her temperature was back up to 99.7 last night we're going to continue to monitor her and we're just going to hope for the best I have all of her equipment put together she's got her whelping box setup and we have all of the stuff put together or when the puppies come
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also chis 55 days today and she is showing no signs of stress she's doing well I think we'll be fine thank you

If she's not showing active signs of labor (like pushing) she may not yet be ready to give birth and, yes, the puppies should be just fine though this stage. You may want to double check the reading on your thermometer to ensure that it's accurate. It's not uncommon for there to be a little variable which might account for the fluctuation you've seen. Her temp needs to drop and stay below 100 degrees for roughly 12 hours for the to be a sign of impending labor. Dogs can go up to 68 days before delivery so you may still have up to another 2 weeks to go. It may be of some usage, as well, to check how many days she went on her last litter to give a rough estimate on how many days she'll go on this litter, as well.

Keep me posted on your progress. Our chat will stay open so here in the next few days if you meet any speed bumps or have concerns you can reach out to be again without additional charges.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I bought a brand new thermometer yesterday just to be sure if the reading her temp has stated below 99.5 for the last 36 hours now, she is very restless, digging at blankets, pacing, and seems super uncomfortable. She is also contracting periodically. Milk is coming from her teets and she just looks miserable her last litter she had at 57 days

It sounds like she should be delivering soon with these additional symptoms. I am going to go ahead and give you some financial aid links for good measure, just in case she does need medical care. Did she birth her last litter normally or did she require a c-section? Was she bred by another similarly sized dog? smaller? larger?

Red Rover: https://redrover.org/find-financial-assistance-veterinary-care

Best friends: http://bestfriends.org/resources/financial-aid-pets

AVMA: https://www.avma.org/public/YourVet/Pages/Financial-assistance-for-veterinary-care-costs.aspx

HSUS: http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_veterinary_care.html

PAWS: https://www.paws.org/cats-and-dogs/other-services/help-with-veterinary-bills/

Your dogs friend: http://yourdogsfriend.org/we-recommend/need-help-paying-vet-bills/

AFRP: https://www.animalfriendsrescue.org/financialassistance.html

Speaking for Spot: http://speakingforspot.com/?p=Financial%20Assistance%20for%20Veterinary%20Care

2 options for financing include www.carecredit.com and www.scratchpay.com. Both of these companies have low interest APR rates (starting at 5%) and allow you to pay for a vet bill over 6-24 months.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I helped her deliver her last litter no problems. Same size male mated. Her last litter was very large 12 all together no loses all big healthy pups. No dead ones no runts and my female is 3.5 years old now

Excellent. So, you should be able to expect the same this time and hopefully since she's young this will play a strong factor in her ability to produce the young as well. You have the links above for financial aid and financing should you need them, if she begins to have problems and needs medical care to deliver the rest of her pups.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I I took her temp at 10:45 a.m. it was 99.7 degrees and I just took her temperature again at 12:24 and it has dropped down to 97.9 what should I expect at this moment

I would go off of her active symptoms right now instead of the temperature. The temp really only gives us a rough estimate on when to expect labor. If she's having intermittent contractions, nesting and producing milk I would expect hard labor to start within the next 12-24 hours. Right now, work on getting the area prepared for her to deliver. You want the ambient temp around 75 degrees without any heavy gusts. Keep offering her food, but especially water. Give her time and space to do what she needs to do and observe heavily. Be observant of her contractions and begin timing them. Once they are coming at least every hour, you should be within a few hours of puppy production.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay yeah her contractions are definitely erratic they're not hourly I don't believe it's more like every couple of hours she has real hard contractions she's all set in her whelping room. It has ambient lighting for soft feel it is warm with no gust or drafts. We have put a no visitors sign out for family and friends and I am currently camped out next to her 5 foot by 8foot delivery and post delivery area
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have even been massaging her abdomen and neck and head along with her ears and Paws to help ease and relax her

Excellent. Hopefully this will go well for her as the time approaches.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
we can keep this conversation open until after the puppies are born right?

Yes, reply anytime you need. Be aware I only work about 12 hours out of the day so if you reply and I don't respond immediately there is a good chance I am not signed on at that time. I'll reply just as soon as I return to the computer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No puppies yet so I am thankful for that for the sake of the puppies. She is much more stressed looking this evening and losing fluid, no appetite, not moving a whole lot. Her milk is pretty much leaking out all over. She is having pretty steady contractions the last 3 hours

If she's not produced puppies after 30 minutes of hard labor, she does need to see a veterinarian. You may need to use the financial aid links above. The potential does exist for a bitch to be unable to produce young (this is known as a dystocia) and it is a medical emergency. Not only can the puppies pass away, but mom's life can be at risk, as well. I don't want to alarm you, but I do want you to be appropriately armed with information.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have called the nearest veterinarian they open in 10 minutes, I have such bad credit I don't qualify. I just hope they will work with me.

Checking in. How are things going this afternoon?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The vet still hasn't called back. I can't get help due to credit issues. I am on my own here. I will just pray that positive energy and miracles happen here, she is my best friend.. if she dies I don't know what I will do. I have had her since she was only 8 weeks old... I am truly scared out of my mind here.

Were you able to visit the financial aid links above? These don't go off of credit. These are companies who offer free help to owners.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yea none of them will cover this because in order to qualify for any of them you just first prove that the animal is neutered or spayed

Many of these organizations will still assist with care if a spay can be performed during treatment. If she's going to need a c-section, your vet can spay her at the same time. I would still apply. Failing this, I would start a GoFundMe account and reach out to people online through social media and try to get local rescues to share her information. This should help to speed along her ability to see a vet. You might also check with vets in the area to see if they will take held checks, as some will so long as payment is rendered.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I am doing everything you are suggesting

Good luck. I'll cross my fingers.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your girl doing today?

I noticed that you rated our discussion at a 3/5 and I'm curious what made you choose this rating. You and I have been in discussion for 4 days now and I have sent every bit of information I have available on my end to try to help the both of you. For what reason did you elect such a low rating?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse