Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog was started on a round of clindamycin 150 mg every 12…

My dog was started...

My dog was started on a round of clindamycin 150 mg every 12 hours on Thursday of this past week. I believe she is having an adverse reaction. She has no appetite, her body seems stiff when she is lying down, she is having trouble getting up and down and is extremely lethargic. Her paws at times feel cold to the touch. I am hesitant to give her her dosage this evening and am calling the vet first thing in the morning. They gave me 80 pills instructing me to give her 4 pills, twice a day, 12 hours apart. The dosage says 150 mg and I am thinking this must be for 4 pills, so she would be getting 300 mg a day? I am confused. She weighs 64 lbs. She is definitely worse since she went to the vet. A short time ago I tried to move her from the bed to potty, she gave me an air bite. Help!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** is a boxer mix, a rescue, so I am not sure of her age but I think she is between 8-10. I took her in for a possible infected tooth and scheduled a dental for the 12th. I am hesitant to give her tonight's dosage of this drug.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rosie?

Her breathing seems shallow.

3/5/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was wondering why I did not get a response--to me the site is very hard to navigate--I did not request phone notification because my phone is very antiquated, and just a few moments ago I got that on the phone and now your response. My dog is not well. She is the same. I stopped the antibiotics lastnight and will be on the phone with the vet when they open at 9:00. She is at the very least very uncomfortable and is still exhibiting all the symptoms I described in my post. Her body seems very stiff and it is painful for her to move. She was in much better shape when I originally took her to the vet on Thursday. I have not tried to get her up out of bed to potty yet this morning--she doesn't want to move. I am very upset and can only wonder if it isn't a reaction to the pills or perhaps something else going on.

It's not uncommon for antibiotics like Clindamycin to make a pet feel ill. More often than not this initiates with the pet feeling nauseated, not wanting to eat, sometimes vomiting or having diarrhea, profound lethargy, etc. Since she is exhibiting such extreme symptoms, I do think it would be wise to have her examined today. Your vet, at very least, is going to want to try a switch of antibiotics unless this one must absolutely be used. They may also want to run additional diagnostics like bloodwork and/or x-rays to see if they can determine the cause if they feel it's not related to the clindamycin.

If you must approach this from home, I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian. If you need help finding a location that can see your pet (even just to keep on hand), I can help. I’ll need you to provide your location as the website does not give us this.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

If you absolutely must continue the clindamycin, be sure to only give this with a full meal. You can also give the famotidine 2 hours before giving the clindamycin to head off GI complications.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is your companion doing today?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Wow, I have been trying to respond and either my computer is acting up or it's my user error. Unfortunately, it was not a reaction to the drugs---my dog apparently has lung cancer---there are several masses on her lungs--too many to be operable. She was given fluids and an anti nausea medication. I was able to get her to eat some chicken and rice lastnight--she is definitely more responsive and alert, but still a very sick dog. Am looking at my options now with being referred to an oncologist. I did try to respond several times lastnight and give the rating--let's see if this goes. I appreciate all the information you gave me--it was very thorough and very helpful.

I am so very sorry to hear of this diagnosis, but I do appreciate the update on her condition. Please let me know if I can help further.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse