Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I rescued a Marti pop from shelter and he won’t come near.

I rescued a young...

I rescued a young Marti pop from shelter and he won’t come near. I’d like to get the scone off his head do he can use doggy door. Now he just stays outside. Help.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

Maltipoo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

Skittish, scared of people, was living on the streets.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Econe was due to neutering

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the dog eating normally?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. Is the dog having trouble peeing or pooing?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious problems there. How is the dog behaving differently?

It’s not different I just got him and he’s scared of people.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Dog Trainer should know about the dog?

Young, he bit person who found him on the street. He entertains himself and loves my backyard.

3/5/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time? How can I best assist you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He’s outside and fine but he won’t let me near him.

What happens when you approach him? Are you trying to get the e-collar off? Is it no longer needed following his neuter?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can I drug him to get the econe off? He has shown interest in the doggydoor but can’t use it with the cone

You'd need to speak with your vet to get any variety of sedative to do this. Before we get the e-collar off, if he still needs to have it on you're going to need to have a plan to replace it, as well. If he has a history of biting, it may be best leaving this up to the nurses at your local vet clinic. Is he past the 5-7 day mark following his neuter? What happens when you approach him?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
8 days. He runs away. He likes being the house but not when he sees me, he runs out. I’m wondering if he’ll ever trust me.

It's going to take some time for sure. Are you able to touch him at all whether in the house or outside? Are you able to secure a leash to him?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, I cannot go to him. He has come to me and sniffed, sometimes he’s taken food but not often. No leash possible.

How close can you get to him before he runs off?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
3-4 feet

This might work then. Do you happen to have a slip leash available at your home?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. What is that?

Slip leashes look like this, your vet's office likely uses them: https://www.printglobe.com/images/products/hires/pid37691-aptnl34_smooth_nylon_pet_slip_leash_lg.jpg They can be broken apart in to a single strap (like you see in the picture). If he will allow you to get 3-4 feet away you may be able to do one of two things:

1) Open it in to a strap and place it behind the e-collar, then connect it and slide the slip down to his neck (which will prevent him from running off, these types of leashes are slip-proof once you have them against the neck)

2) You can open the loop of the leash as wide as it will go and drop it over the e-collar. Once it's past the collar and tightened, he won't be able to run off.

One of these two situations is likely going to be needed. The downfall, however, is that once he realizes he cannot run off he's going to be more likely to bite. You'll need to work slowly with him to get him calmed down before moving in to remove the e-collar. My recommendation is going to be having a firm handle on his body before you remove the e-collar and the leash. If you do not remove these together the leash will stay attached until you can remove it. Your vet's office may have a slip leash to loan out. There are varieties made from nylon like this picture above or twine. I recommend the twine ones for this application as they're easier to maneuver with aggressive dogs. This is how we manage to get dogs out of kennels that are aggressive without sustaining a bite, so it can work. It just takes some tenacity on the owner's part and a bit of luck.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m looking them up on Amazon, what size or brand do you recommend?

For this application, you want to avoid the rope ones as they're going to be floppy. This is the one I'd buy: https://www.amazon.com/KVP-020NL01-1-Nylon-Kennel-Lead/dp/B0088OLTPA/ref=sr_1_72?ie=UTF8&qid=1520255618&sr=8-72&keywords=slip+leash

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. I can then get the cone off him. Should I then put the leash away or use it to try to walk him? What steps should I use to gain his trust. Just ignore him and let come in and out of the house hoping he’ll learn to trust me eventually?

This all depends on the dog. If he will permit your handling once he's leashed, you may be able to use the leash in the future to get him to trust you. My personal recommendation is to not let him off of the leash unless he's in a room, inside, where he can be easily leashed and taken outdoors. Over time he will become increasing more aware of the fact that interactions with you are safe. This can take a few days to a few weeks. In some cases, it may take months. If he's only ever had bad interactions with people, it will take longer. If he's fearful of the new place and new people, it should wear off more quickly especially if he enjoys being in the back yard. It may also be worthwhile to have a behaviorist in your home to evaluate him once he's past the 14-21 day mark and have them analyze his behavior and make recommendations accordingly.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don’t understand. I shouldn’t have him off leash outside, in the backyard?

That's how I would approach this. The reason being that if he chooses to never be around you, the back yard gives him that option. By keeping him indoors and leash walking him outside, you maintain control over interaction and he's not allowed to distance himself to the point of no contact. He is eventually going to realize that you have the upper hand with the slip leash and may eventually begin avoiding you. That's easier to address inside of a home vs. in a back yard where he can dart away anytime you get close. Then, unfortunately, the potential exists for him to be caught outside in bad weather and for you to be unable to intervene. If you live in a place with very hot summers, the potential of heat stroke should be considered, as well. So, no, I wouldn't have him off leash outside until he has a dependable recall, will allow you to leash him easily or pick him up without panicking/biting.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello?

I'm still here. Did you see my reply above?

Here it is again, just in case it didn't transmit to your side:

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m in souther Cal with a dry covered patio so no real weather issues. So I should get him inside with leash and not let him go outside except with leash. Sounds stressful for him.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I ordered the leash so I will follow your advice.

That's how I would approach this otherwise you risk him being stuck in the back yard with no human contact at all if he so chooses.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It actually does make sense, I just wasn’t expecting that.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think that’s good advice, makes it worth the money. Thank you.

You're welcome. Good luck! I hope you're able to get this addressed effectively.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What about when I’m at work? Can he be outside when I’m not home?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I could come home at lunch to let him go out.

That's entirely up to you. I would only leash walk him until you have the ability to get a leash on him without great effort. Until then, I would not leave him off leash in the back yard. Even while you're at work. If he can be kenneled indoors or sequestered into a bedroom, this would be much easier to address avoidance of a leash vs. in the back yard.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse