Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My puppy miniature schnauzer has a rash right above her

Hello! My puppy miniature...

Hello! My puppy miniature schnauzer has a brown rash right above her vagina. It doesn’t look painful but she drags her vagina on the ground from time to time.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Mari

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mari?

She wheezes

3/2/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share pictures of what you're seeing?

Thank you. Rashes in this area are commonly due to a condition we affectionately call "puppy pyoderma". In Mari's case, I am concerned that there may be a secondary fungal infection here too based on the appearance. It appears that her vulva may be swollen, so this might explain why she's been dragging herself on the ground (if she's experiencing intense itching). At home, you can give 1-2mg/pound of body weight of benadryl orally every 8-12 hours. I do think it would be wise for Mari to have an examination and determine if she needs a course of antibiotics/antifungal medication. You can also begin bathing her weekly with an antimicrobial/antifungal shampoo like this one: https://www.chewy.com/malaseb-medicated-shampoo-dogs-cats/dp/119232?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Malaseb&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKEAjwqIfLBRCk6vH_rJq7yD0SJACG18frsOmRpqA8BrRe2aihjlYktye6TvT5y11bkW1LEMHICBoC89Tw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds I would try to keep her from dragging her vulva on the ground, if possible.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

It's hard to tell if this is pigmentation or not but Mynx's vulva doesn't look as swollen as the picture of Mari. It would be a good idea to have both girls checked for good measure if they're both dragging their vulvas on the ground.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay thanks so much, have a great day!

You too!

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse