Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

7yo GSD male - he has lumps on his ear flaps. They are

Hi - 7yo GSD...

Hi - 7yo GSD male - he has lumps on his ear flaps. They are sensitive to the touch. The first one seemed to be going away but now it is growing again and there is another one on the other ear.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?

Tracer

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tracer?

Healthy other than allergies in the winter.

2/20/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share pictures of what you're seeing? Are these raised bumps or pockets of fluid in between the front and back of the ear?

They are pockets of "fluid" on the flap of his ear. They are heavy enough to cause his ears to bend down.

Can you share pictures of what you're seeing?

Are you seeing any shaking of the head or pawing at the ears?

I don't have pictures. I have not noticed him shaking his head but I have noticed him trying to scratch his ears

These are aural hematomas and they typically form from trauma of shaking the head or scratching at the ears. More often than not they're associated with an ear infection. Most dogs who have these heal on their own suffer what we call "cauliflower ear" where the ear begins to crinkle down on itself as a form of healing. Over the course of months to years of repeated problems, a dog may wind up losing the ability of the ear to stand. I would recommend that you schedule a veterinary visit for your companion to have your vet look in each ear with an otoscope. Ear canals are shaped like an L and we cannot see past that bend with our own eyes, as owners. For that reason, this special instrument is employed to see if anything abnormal is past the bend such as infection, foreign material, etc. Your vet may also want to collect blood for bloodwork if nothing is found to be wrong with the ears as dogs with no ear infection and spontaneous aural hematomas may be suffering from a clotting problem which needs to be addressed medically.

This is not typically considered an emergency so long as your companion is eating, drinking, urinating and defecating normally. However, I would expedite a visit and have your companion examined over the next few days. Depending on the severity of the hematoma, your vet may recommend anesthesia, lancing the pocket to alleviate the swelling and using a protocol to tack down the ear in to its normal position so that it may heal without the aforementioned "crinkling down" stage. (Here's an example of what I've described: http://fidouniverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/hematoma.jpg)

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse