Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Our 3 month old standard poodle puppy ate insulation a few…

Our 3 month old...

Our 3 month old standard poodle puppy ate insulation a few days ago. We have been monitoring him like the vet said and he seemed to be fine. Then, today he tried to defecate and couldn't. Then he started vomiting. We called the vet and took him right away. The x-ray (for lack of a better term) showed the insulation in his intestines and colon. They are going to try a Barium flush tomorrow. It that doesn't work, it'll be surgery. I just want to know the actual chance of survival of my pup. No sugar coating

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your puppy will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Stedman

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Stedman?

The insulation was yellow. That seems to be important in the threads I've read so far

2/20/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Stedman swallowed some insulation and vomiting and unable to defecate. I am sorry to hear about what is happening. There are various kinds of insulation, but none of them get systemically absorbed. They are mostly made out of fiberglass, so irritation to the lining of the intestines is most common. An intestinal obstruction is also a possibility.

Just checking to see if you are still connected.

but what are his chances of survival with it being in his colon and him being so young?

If it is in the colon (i.e. large intestine) then the chance of survival is excellent. There is rarely ever an obstruction issue when it reaches the large intestine. If it is obstructed in the small intestine then the prognosis gets more guarded. As long as you catch it early on then the prognosis is better. It sounds like you might have caught it early, so the prognosis for survival should be good.

That is very good news. Thank you very much

You are most welcome. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I'm here to help. You have no the questions, I would appreciate a positive review. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry