Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I'm looking after my friends Std Poodle. He's 12 years old…

I'm looking after my...

I'm looking after my friends Std Poodle. He's 12 years old I've been feeding him the c/d diet they sent with him. plus an antacid pill 2 times a day. He's been very uncomfortable for the past 6 hours, shivering panting asking to go out every hour or so.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the poodle?

What I just said

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the poodle seem to hurt?

He wont lay down or sit just stand and pant. Not sensitive in the belly or groin area

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the poodle. What is the poodle's name?

Pumpkin

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pumpkin?

I looked after him last fall and that's when the kidney disease was diagnosed and he was put on the special c/d diet

2/19/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed.

How is he at this time?

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment? Addition of medication?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

What is he doing outside when let out?

Are you sure the c/d is being used for a kidney concern and not a urinary concern?

He finally got some sleep just got up and had a big drink. Not shivering right now but just stares out into space. When outside he goes to the typical pee and poop spots in the yard but does nothing. It's-20C outside so he can't stay out long.

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Phone call session started