Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog was just diagnosed as being diabetic today, my vet…

My dog was just...

My dog was just diagnosed as being diabetic today , my vet said that he has a high blood sugar and just recently as in a few minutes ago he seems to be a bit weak , he hasn't eat since the vet trip around 5 and its 10:48 now , he's panting a bit as a person would out of breath and whines a bit every time he's touched on his sides where his ribs are or when he's moved. Im not sure if he's okay or not.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. I'm sorry your dog has that. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Champ and hes 5 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Champ?

Not at the moment

2/19/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time? Did your vet start any medications for him?

Hi, my dog he’s been in bed this morning just sleeping for the most part but his breathing still seems a bit like after ones done running . He still hasn’t eaten but he did drink a bit of water last night.

Did your vet start any medications for him?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Can you share a video of what you're seeing with his breathing?

His vet prescribed him insulin and we were going to start in the morning once we got the insulin ( which we’ll be getting today in the afternoon) and he’s been pooping very little and I only have videos of him from last night which i will attach but the breathing from this morning is a bit less intense but still the same.

Videos from last night would be fine. I'll be standing by. Certainly don't start insulin until you have addressed the new symptoms or he may worsen.

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like http://www.imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. If you are located in the USA and texting pictures/video would be preferable, please let me know. There is an additional charge for this service but it can take the guesswork out of trying to get information back to me and facilitate a faster response.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEa1smtPEJU
I just finished uploading the video
Champ's stomach is currently making gurgling sounds and I wanted to ask if there were any diabetic dog okay foods that I could give him to entice him to eat again

Thank you for the video. This breathing looks like he's in some discomfort.

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment? Addition of medication?

He's been trying to seemingly cough up something but its like all that comes out is his water , again he'a pooped but very little than usual and not really he seemed stressed when he was at the vet yesterday but coming home from that he didn't want to eat and his stomach is crying/ making noise at the moment.

That sounds more like vomiting than coughing.

The reason I have asked additional questions is because you will need to treat the underlying GI upset before offering him enticing foods. Dogs can be on a wide range of foods for diabetes. For now, I would make a call to your vet and discuss treating this first instead of starting the insulin. If you were to begin giving insulin right now and he stopped eating, his blood sugar might bottom out leaving him in a diabetic crisis. I would highly recommend involving your vet in his care and sharing with them what you've shared with me.

If you must address this from home, I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine pure canned pumpkin, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

Once he's back on his food, your vet should feel comfortable moving forward with insulin treatment. You can also use rice above but rice tends to have a higher glycemic index than pumpkin, making pumpkin a better choice for a GI upset.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Okay ! Thank you so much !