Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My sons dog is an 8yr old haired mexican chihuahua. He

My sons dog is...

My sons dog is an 8yr old long haired mexican chihuahua. He started throwing up Friday and having diarrhea. He took him to the emergency after hours clinic on Saturday because he couldn't get him into a vet because they were all full. He was given some antibiotics and an IV. He hasn't gotten

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the Chihuahua eat anything unusual?

Any better since then and still has diahrrea and hasn't eaten anything but has

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Chihuahua's name?

Drank some water. The vets aren't working tomorrow so he's afraid he's going to die. THanks His name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dougie?

He has never been sick like this before. There aren't any other dogs in the house. I'm sure he hasn't been around other dogs. My son walks him but he has a fenced in yard to used the bathroom.

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I don't want a phone call. I just would like the information as soon as possible.
I don't know what is meant by send me the service offer so we can proceed
Any idea how much longer I will have to wait?
2/19/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment? Addition of medication?

Is he on any oral meds right now?

It is my sons dog that is sick & he is not with me. He is on an antibiotic given to him by an emergency vet on Friday night & also an antibiotic. He hasn’t eaten anything since he started throwing up & vomoti g except he has been drinking water.

Can you obtain the name of the antibiotic? Did they give any injectable medications for nausea?

The vet also gave him an iv.

There was no medication given except the antibiotic and iv i’m Sure he wasn’t given anything that was new to his diet as my son has had the influenza virus & hasn’t left the house to buy anything other than what was in the house when we left .
Over a week ago.

The oral antibiotics being given may be helpful, but they can also cause nausea and vomiting. It's important to get the vomiting stopped before giving antibiotics or the cycle may continue.

I can give you some steps to take at home to help your son's companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
I forgot that the vomiting hasn’t Been as bad but his diarrhea has continued the whole time.

The directions above will help to set that straight. The body is likely clearing out all the stool, which can take quite some time since the intestines hold more than the stomach. The pepcid will help to calm the nausea and the bland diet will help to firm the stool so that he's not producing volumes of diarrhea. If this persists on the pepcid, have your son talk to his vet about changing antibiotics (which may be contributing) and also starting a probiotic for gastric floral health.