Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Thank you for the wonderful advice, Robben is doing much…

Hi again! Thank you for...
Hi again! Thank you for the wonderful advice, Robben is doing much better. He’s much more active and is defecating more often! He’s reaching 5 weeks old now and I’m starting to think I should begin weaning him. How would you recommend I do that? I was looking into the Wellness Grain-free puppy kibble or the complete health kind, but I was confused as to what are the benefits of kibble being grain-free?
2/19/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

What is he currently eating well right now?

He’s only had liquid Esbilac

Excellent. So, where we go from here is typically mixing 10:1 esbilac with canned food. Grain free is seldom needed for puppies, so choose a brand of canned puppy food that you can afford to feed long-term. You'll start mixing 10:1 (10 parts esbilac with 1 part puppy food). Each day that passes, increase the parts of canned food. Within 10 days, he should fully be on puppy chow and the slow switch should prevent GI upset.

I recommend mixing this up and placing it in a shallow dish (plate, pie pan) on a big bath towel (and it will be soupy to start and he's going to end up in the plate or pie dish) and letting Robben lick it off of your fingers. As he grows more interested, get your fingers closer to the dish, eventually let him lick your fingers, move them out of the way at the same moment you give the back of his head a tiny push downwards. He should realize very quickly that the fluid is in the dish and start licking it up. This is the messiest part of having a puppy. He's going to try to walk in it so keep your hands on his back end to try to keep him from walking forward. For some reason puppies think the best spot is to stand right in the MIDDLE of the dish. As he gets older, this will be easier. If it doesn't work on day one, go back to bottle feeding and try on day 2. Most pups begin weaning around 5-6 weeks. Keep offering him bottled milk at least 2x daily. Slowly wean back the bottled milk and offer only the mix. Eventually he'll be on canned food and you'll want to be offering this 4-6x daily as much as he can eat in a sitting. Around 8 weeks, mix kibble in with the canned food and you'll have him switched over to kibble before you know it!

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Thank you for the advice! I would look into different can food and choice the one I think is best. How much do you think I’ll be feeding him daily when he first starts? 2x daily of milk but how much should I try with the combo?

Always feed as much as he wants. I would weigh the milk out by ounces in a day and make sure he's eating that much in milk (OR canned food) with about 10% give either way.

Thanks! I’ll see how he takes it and if I have anymore questions I’ll definitely come back to ask
Hi again, today was Robbens first day eating canned food. He seemed to jump on it extremely quickly, he had no trouble eating all of it. I started with mixing 45ml of milk and like 5 teaspoons of canned food. After like 3 hours he seemed to be hungry so I gave him 30ml of milk with almost 4 teaspoons of food. And he finished it all. Am I giving him to little food? His stomach Got really swollen so I assumed he was full. Now I am waiting for his next feeding at 12am which will only be milk. He’s weighing almost at 2lb. Do you recommend I only give him milk in the morning and at night? And when should I introduce water?

Puppies tend to gorge themselves on food, so don't overdo it. When in doubt, feed more frequently but feed less. So long as he has a plump tummy, you're on the right tract.

Introduce water when he's fully on canned food. The water will replace the milk.