Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog, Maya, ate part of my suede loafer 5 days ago. She is…

Hi Dr., my dog...

Hi Dr., my dog, Maya, ate part of my suede loafer 5 days ago. She is eating and drinking normally, and def3cating ( not as much in quantity as usual) but she did vomit a oiece of it this morning.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if Maya will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maya?

She is a 6 y.o black lab, and the sweetest dog😀

Veterinarian's Assistant: What else should I tell the Veterinarian?

She seems fine

Answered in 1 minute by:
2/18/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What does the vomit look like? Was it just a piece of the shoe?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

It was a 3 in piece of suede and her gums are a littke sticky, and pinkish.
It does not seem to bother her When I press her stomach.
Hello

Hi again,

Just a moment, I am trying a reply and will post in full shortly.

Dr. B.

ok, thanks.

Thank you for your patience, as you can see I had quite a bit more to type.

Now the dilemma here with Maya is that her vomiting up a piece of this tells us that its been in her stomach the past 5 days and wasn't passing further. If she brought it all up on this occasion that is positive and we'd not be worried for her. But if there could be more, then it may be in her stomach and could still pass with a possible gut blockage risk. Therefore, at this stage, if you think there is more, you could have her vet check for this via xray and scope them out.

Otherwise, we can try a supportive care approach for Maya. For that, we can first reduce nausea with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). After we will want to feed small meals of a light diet. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Whichever you choose to offer, you can add some fiber (ie a spoonful of tinned pumpkin or all bran) to the food to bulk up her stool and push anything left through the intestines. As well, you can also add a dose of a GI lubricant (ie cat hairball medication Miralax, lactulose or food grade mineral oil). These can be beneficial for getting this slipping through the gut.

While doing this, we do need to keep a close eye on her . Red flags of trouble or obstruction include restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, anorexia, pale gums, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood). If you see these signs, then having her seen would be best for her vet to have a feel of her belly +/- an xray to see where everything is and whether it will pass on its own.

Overall, situations like these always require us to be on our toes and tread with care. At this point, if you think there is any more not yet passed, you can consider the above steps for her while keeping a close eye. But if you see any of those other signs, then having her examined +/- xrayed would be ideal so you can appreciate whether there is any risk. But otherwise we'd hope to use the above to push this all through and out the other end over the next 48 hours.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

sounds good, forgot to mention that when she threw upa oiece if the shoe, she then threw up a little liquid- white and looked like saliva.

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

I suspect that second vomit is just because the shoe material will be irritating to the stomach. But the antacid should help reduce that as we try to ensure she passes any left.

Have a lovely day,
Dr. B.
**************************
Afterwards please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping pets here. : )**

Awwh, what a doll. :)

All the best for you both,

Dr. B.
**************************

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian