Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog has had several bouts of diarrhea (very dark), then a…

My dog has had...

My dog has had several bouts of diarrhea (very dark), then a few minutes ago, had a pink, foamy vomit. He is13 yrs old, shih Tzu-border collie mix and seems to be in good spirits.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

My husband went from regular dog food to little bites (we have several smaller dogs) but same brand.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Tigger, 13

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tigger?

I don't think so. He's otherwise in good health and very energetic.

2/18/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Ok

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Tigger is a little unwell, if he is otherwise in good spirits then hopefully this is something minor, but of course this sort of thing is always a gamble so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check him over without delay.That said that there are a number of home remedies for vomiting and diarrhoea in the dog which some owners try while waiting for their vet's appointment. These can often work well for uncomplicated cases where for example a dog has eaten something he should not have out in the yard, or has had some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has somehow acquired a minor tummy bug. Here are some examples.

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastroenteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates: LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water and is drinking.

B. The next day give him four or five small light meals during the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yoghurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yoghurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You do not need to give much, one teaspoon twice a day is fine for a dog of your one's size.

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if he deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Tigger's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Thank you. I will try some of this.

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Tigger is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his upset stomach ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I got some yoghurt in him, though I don't know if that made the difference. My husband got grain free food and everything seems to be fine now. Thank you for checking back.

So glad Tigger seems fine now ...

Thanks for the update.

Regards,

Dr Scott