Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog seems really sleepy and low energy today. He also…

Customer Question
My dog seems really...

My dog seems really sleepy and low energy today. He also won't his food and he'll only drink water if I push it in front of him. He looks really sad but I can't understand why. Nothing has happened today and I haven't punished him for anything. My partner took him for a walk this morning and seemed fine but when I woke up to play ball with him after he would only trot after it. He's normally very high energy all the time. He's a 9 month old Texas heeler (Aussie shepherd/blue heeler) I've had him for 2.5 weeks so I don't know much about him.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name?

Nekoda

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nekoda?

He's not fixed and we micro chipped him like a week ago if that matters

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog
Also he's been ripping up the House when we're gone for longer than an hour. Mostly plastic bags and his bed. Three days ago he ate a part of a electrical cord but we gave him some pure pumpkin and he passed the pieces of the cord that we knew were missing.
2/17/2018
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 4 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

When you adopted him, did they provide any proof of veterinary examination?

Are you seeing any vomiting or diarrhea?

No vomiting or diarrhea. No proof of veterinary care.

I am concerned that the reason he's not eating or drinking on his own volition is due to nausea. Without any history of vaccines or veterinary care, there's a strong potential that an underlying condition may be present causing this such a tick borne illness, parvo, distemper, intestinal parasites, etc.

I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Nekoda doing today?

Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 3 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy