Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 14 year old springer sleeps all day. Eats well has no…

My 14 year old...

My 14 year old springer sleeps all day. Eats well has no accidents backs legs are arthritic my family wants me to put him down but I don’t think he’s ready. They say I’m being selfish because our dog has no quality of life anymore. He waits for my husband to come home from work everyday with excitement like he’s done for 14 years. Is this dog ready to be put down??

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Riley

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Riley?

He’s been aggressive all his life but an excellent guard dog. He takes pain meds and arthritis meds

2/15/2018
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

How is the dog at night , does he sleep well or does he sometimes roam the house?

Are there at least 3 things that he once enjoyed doing and still does enjoy them?

He can’t go for walks anymore. He’s deaf but can see. He ears well and sleeps well. He lives for my husbands return from work and that’s it. He still snuggles and rolls around but sleeps all day. Sometimes he falls going down the steps.

Thank you for that information. While this is a strictly personal decision, it seems that he still likes to eat , He still enjoys your company, and looks forward to your husband coming home. His age is preventing him from walks which is normal.

When you mentioned sleeping all day, my thought went to canine cognitive dysfunction which is much like human dementia and older dogs will sometimes sleep more through the day and be awake more through the night. So I would take notice of that as a change may be coming. If that happens you can medication for him.

If he is not suffering in pain and the biggest thing is that he is sleeping all day, it would not be enough of a deal to put him down if he were my dog. As we age , we all sleep longer and take naps in the day.

Again this is strictly a personal decision, but I would agree with you.

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

Thank you! He sleeps well at night also but rooms to another room at the foot of my sons bed till the next afternoon. He will come down the steps and drink a huge amount of water and go lay under the table till my husband comes home. Is always happy to see him!
roams to another room is what I meant.

Yes that is normal, it's when they cannot lay still for more than 10 minutes or so before roaming. I think you're doing a great job keeping him happy in his old age!

Bless You and thank you so much for seeing my side of this situation.

You are most welcome. Have a great day and enjoy him:)

Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant