Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog is 10 years old. He was diagnosed with diabetes and I…

Hello, my dog is...

Hello, my dog is 10 years old. He was diagnosed with diabetes and I started him on insulin x 2 a day. He did well for about 2 weeks. For the last 2 days he is not eating but drinking water. Vomited a few times and not lethargic but tired. He was on a grain free high quality dry food, dehydrated vegetables and turkey meat ( I cook it for him). He also tested positive for heartworm but I wanted to have stabilized on the insulin before the prednisone therapy. His heart rate is regular and has clear breath sounds with no shortness of breath. He abdomen is soft, his bm are formed, and just 1 since yesterday. I did held his insulin yesterday and this am doze.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

Well his chem 12, Cbc was normal, no uti. Blood sugar was 400. His insulin dose is 6 u X 2 a day.

2/14/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment? Addition of medication?

Are you checking his blood sugar at home? If so, what was the most recent reading?

Is he on any medication right now besides the insulin?

I did change his diet gradually over the last month. He had had human food all his life. Bites of coked meat, fish, eggs, yams, rice. Boiled beef bones. For the last few years he had grain free dry food mixed with Costco brand wet food. And now he is on cooked turkey/beef, dehydrated vegetables dog brand and organic grain free dry food. He doesn't take any meds, no treats or torn up toys. I don't take his blood sugar at home. He has accidents inside, his urine is sticky.

Anytime we have a dog on insulin that is vomiting, it's recommended that the dog see a veterinarian promptly. The more insulin that is given while the dog is not eating, the higher the risk of a hypoglycemic event. Your vet may wish to check his pancreatic enzyme level since he's having some vomiting and home and is diabetic. It's not uncommon for dogs to suffer pancreatitis along side diabetes. If this is not possible, I would recommend the following:

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Thank you! I will try Pepcid and the diet recommendations. But will not give insulin until he eats. I might adjust the insulin doze if he eats enough and doesn't vomit for the next 2-3 hours.

You're welcome. Good luck to you both!

Thank you!

You're welcome.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy
Skippy went to sleep on Thursday 2/15. Thank you!
I hope my account was canceled