Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 14 week Labrador (32 lbs) May eaten 1 tablet (180 mg)

My 14 week Labrador...

My 14 week Labrador (32 lbs) May eaten 1 tablet (180 mg) myfortic (taken for kidney transplant). I am not really sure if he did

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Kip

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kip?

He returned from the vet hospital yesterday due GI diarrhea and vomiting (cause unknown - we just got him a week ago and vet said could be stress and he got 5 of his shots). Vet said we likely will not know he is doing fine and has one dose of metronidazole left. He is on digestive care dog food

1/24/2018
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about your puppy and the myfortic tablet. I'm so sorry you are having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in ,what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you. In the meantime, in order to help me help you better, I'll need some more information. To start with, can you please tell me:

• what is the time window during which he may have eaten this?
  • how is he acting right now?
  • when is the last time he vomited and/or had diarrhea?
  • is the metronidaole his only other medication?

I'll be standing by and awaiting your reply. Thank you.

In the meantime, I want to let you know that Myfortic (mycophenolate) is not toxic to dogs, per se. It works on them the same way it does humans.

Additionally, if we wished to prescribe it for a 32-pound dog, the calculated dose would be 145mg. That means 180mg is not a significant overdose.

(typing more)

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
It would have been in last hour. He is acting fine. Playing with a new toy. Last time he vomted was Sat (why we took him to vet hospital) and diarrhea on Sunday. We had him stay at hospital an hour xtra nigh to be sure his rectal to cam was clear of blood The metrod. is his only med
Phone call session started

Good.

This is all good news.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Jo
Everything is great! I am looking for the place to give my rating (outstanding!).