Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I’m not sure. Well she starts out shaking, Followed by heavy…

I’m not sure Veterinarian's...

I’m not sure

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

Well she starts out shaking , Followed by heavy panting, followed by diarrhea. She has part bulldog and her and she’s very hyper so it makes her very stressed out when she gets diarrhea. I do not know exactly what’s going on just the shaking panting and diarrhea. Which stresses her out and make the symptoms worse

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Susie and she is about 5

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Susie?

She has no allergies that I know of at first I thought it might have been the cat litter we have two cats and sometime she likes to eat their poop so we have blocked off the cat area. So now we know it’s not that. I’m thinking she may have gotten a hold of of a plant

1/24/2018
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How long has this been going on for?

Any blood or mucus in the stool?

Any vomiting?

How is her appetite?

Just started today.
No blood or mucus that I could see
No vomiting
She is eating fine
She is having bad gas which from past experience is a precursor to the diarrhea
Please pardon my manners. I’m very thankful for your time and answers.

Thanks for the information. Sorry about the wait. Give me a few minutes to review and respond.

So, certainly the panting and shaking can be due to gastrointestinal distress. If this happens often with her, I would consider something like a food allergy, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) or pancreatic issues. The safest things you can do from home are increase the fiber in her diet with either Metamucil or pure canned pumpkin and try an OTC kaolin/pectin anti-diarrhea suspension (can get at any human pharmacy and most major pet stores). If that is helping, you may want to consider adding some fiber to every one of her meals. Some dogs have fiber responsive diarrhea. I would consider having your vet run a fecal exam and routine blood work if not already done. A gastrointestinal blood panel that looks closer at pancreatic issues and possible distal small intestinal diseases (such as IBD) may be very helpful. It measures cobalamin and folate. Some dogs may be deficient in cobalamin and have gastrointestinal problems. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating at no additional charge. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Thank you! I hope this works! I can only assume the dosage is the same for the anti diarrhea meds. Thank you so much!

You are very welcome. I usually use a 1/2 teaspoon per 20 lbs every 4-6 hours as a start. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John