Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

She is peeing in her sleep and tonight she peed and threw…

She is peeing in...

She is peeing in her sleep and tonight she peed and threw up. She seems to be in a trans-like state when this happens. But I don’t think it’s a seizure because she is somewhat coherent

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

She’s a 3.5 year old Aussie. I thought it was muscle hypteronicity and episodic falling but I am not so sure now because these incidents were not stress induced

1/23/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Do you happen to have a video of what you're seeing?

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment? Addition of medication?

Is she on any medication at this time?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do not have a video at this time. No new medication or change of diet or anything like that. She’s only on trifexus. This first happened when she was very young. It happens maybe once a month- once every 2 months. She stiffens up, drools, and now she has began to pee. She is partially coherent through these episodes.

Does she urinate through the episodes or at different times?

Have any diagnostics been run such as bloodwork? urinalysis?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She urinanes during the episodes. No blood work has been done or anything like that.

I think this would be wise.

When you mention that she's urinating in her sleep, we worry about loss of sphincter control which typically plagues middle aged to older females who are spayed. In those cases we want to rule out a urinary tract concern with a urinalysis. Your vet will likely want to try a medication like proin to see if it helps with her control. Many dogs benefit within 48 hours on this medication and it would be given 1-2x daily for the remainder of life to help with the symptom. I am concerned, though, with your description of stiffening up and drooling that you're seeing a type of seizure activity. Not all seizures are aggressive with loss of consciousness, teeth chattering, etc. Focal seizures can involve stiffening, drooling, acting dazed and urination. I do think with these symptoms that you should have diagnostics like bloodwork run to determine if there is an underlying cause. In many cases we find nothing but repeated seizure activity often warrants treatment such as the usage of anticonvulsants. There have also been many dogs who have benefited greatly from CBD usage in the form of oil and CBD treats (http://www.canna-pet.com). I do recommend that diagnostics be run first before any type of therapy be initiated as we don't want to mask symptoms. I would also recommend logging these events so you can tell you vet how often they're happening. Log the date, time, duration and describe each seizure. Bring a log along with you whichever you schedule to see your vet to discuss therapy.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse