Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I have an 8 year Siberian husky who today after being seen…

Hello I have an 8...
Hello I have an 8 year Siberian husky who today after being seen at a vet and emergency vet specialist because he was hacking / coughing mostly at night like he had something in his throat when there was nothing there. After x rays and ultra sound thry said he has 2 large masses in his abdomen and small ones in his lungs and thry are bleeding causing him to cough or hack. They sadly said they think it is likely cancer and is too far along to do surgery that could help remove it. Which I find hard to believe since he seemed fine and has never had any health problems and if not for cough he showed no symptoms. Sorry for long message just trying to best describe situation. I have a few questions 1) vet prescribed for pain tramadol for any pain but we haved not given it to him yet I think they did at vet. My dog is now not holding anything down and is constantly acting thirsty but then throws up water when he drinks it. He will not eat much because he is worried he will throw it up. Can we give him human anti acid like liquid pink pepcid we have to help him not throw up everything and maybe help him to eat. 2) on a side note any outside the box options to possibly treat and save my dog who has possible cancer masses in abdomen and I am being told they (vet) don't think they can remove them safely. Thx in advance for help on any and all if these questions. Tobin
1/23/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Good morning. Thanks for your question.

Is your companion on any medication at this time?

Has your vet discussed referring your companion for additional diagnostics such as a CT scan or MRI?

Only medication he is on is tramadol they gave him for pain ...and I think they gave it to him at vet hours back we have not given it to him yet because of the side effects on it say vomiting and we are trying to stop that. As far as mri or ct scan they never mentioned thst at my family vet or emergency vet specialist they just did x rays then ultra sound and found why he is bleeding in abdomen and stomach they said it's because of masses they found in abdomen and small ones in lunges ECT which could be causing his gagging

You've got a few concerns to address here, so let's start at the top:

I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian. I would ensure that the vomiting has stopped before giving the tramadol again. It's also going to be difficult to determine if your companion is vomiting due to the tumors, injections they may have given or the oral tramadol dosages.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

Once vomiting has stopped and he's holding food down for at least 2 hours, you can try additional doses of tramadol if you feel he needs them. Make sure he's not drinking a large volume of water during this time as this can induce vomiting and make him feel worse.

If you are wanting to know the most there is available about the cancer and if it's removal is possible, I would recommend that you discuss referral to an oncologist (if available) or internist for biopsies, MRI/CT. This will determine the type of cancer present, if it's something that can be removed and how to progress from here with care. Many bleeding tumors in the abdomen can be removed but if associated with a major organ may not be easily removed. For example, we can remove the spleen fully and a dog may function without problem. However, we couldn't fully remove the liver and the pet survive. The difference there is of major consequence for the dog. Additionally, many cancers begin in the abdomen and spread to the chest. When this happens, the pet usually begins showing signs of problems (which it sounds like you're seeing with the coughing). Sometimes we can remove tumors and buy the pet some time, but often when abdomen and thoracic tumors are both present this indicates that the illness is quite progressed and the pet may have a few days to a few months, at most, to live. Most owners then focus on quality of life instead of quantity.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Thx for reply and info the doctor/ vet also gave me yunnan baiyao herbal supplement to help slow down internal bleeding and I gave him 2 tablets so far. The 2 main thinks we are trying to do is see if we have other options for treatments and not just let him die. Right now we are trying to get him to stop vomittting ....we have only allowed him to drink small amounts of water even though he is acting thirsty and keeps trying to drink a lot. We gave him pepcid to try to help his,stomach but he just threw up after about 5 minutes so not sure options to get him to stop vomiting ECT.

The herbal supplement could also be what has caused him to feel unwell.

Nausea is likely the reason he's wanting to drink a lot as it will induce vomiting. The pepcid should help as mentioned above, but you'll need to keep him from drinking water. If you give it again, pull up water for 2 hours. If the vomiting persists, I'd visit your local ER and ask for injectable medications like cerenia. They should work for 24 hours and you can also request having some on hand for oral dosing.

Thx for reply and info thst makes sense so you think if we can't get him to keep down peocid we give him which he just threw up after 5 min then you think I should go to my vet and ask for shot they may have to reduce vomiting. Since right now the internal bleeding and vomiting are me on current issues the vomiting is me on issue now because he won't stop doing it and won't keep anything down. He also wont lay down and keeps stirring and wont sleep he just keeps trying to get water.

It sounds like injectable medications may be the way to go. I would pull up food and water if you cannot go to the ER tonight. The repetitive drinking and vomiting cycle will contribute to dehydration and he may wind up needing IV or SQ fluids.

Ok so when i go to vet tomorrow is there a common injection most should carry I should ask for to stop or slow down vomiting and I may have them give him some fluids while there too.

I would ask them to give cerenia injectable to see if this works. If so, your vet will send you with oral tablets to use. We do not typically send out injections, though your vet may make an exception in your case.

Ok makes sense we just want to do anything to get his vomiting under control so it does not make any internal issues worse.

Absolutely, I agree. Keep me posted on your progress. Good luck to you both!

Thx a lot will do

.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse