Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog exhibits a strange behaviour this morning. He is Boo…

My dog exhibits a...

My dog exhibits a strange behaviour this morning

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

He is Boo Boo, Japanese spitz, 18 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

He is doing an action that strongly mimics a human forcefully breathing through their nose when they have a blocked nose.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

He is male, all 3 vaccinations completed.

Answered in 1 hour by:
1/23/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share video of what you're seeing?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RgZzMe_0_7ogrbGFjpg1fkJWIlTZA9Db/view?usp=drivesdk
The start of the video shows my dog making that noise
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PGwX81NR1nLnGH2nHvGnd_YSibL3VngE/view?usp=drivesdk

Thank you.

It sounds like this is a reverse sneeze and usually happens when dogs have a spasm of the throat and soft palate. Seldom is this a major medical concern unless it reaches a point where the dog cannot rest, the symptom is persistent, etc. This typically happens when an irritant is present and, for this reason, we usually recommend giving an antihistamine to see if this helps. Is your pet on any medication at this time?

The image was what we found in the food bowl.Nope, he is not on medication.

Access to the picture is denied. You'll need to approve me looking at it.

The best approach is going to be trying some antihistamines. Can you tell me if you have any on hand for human usage. If so, what do you have?

My bad. I denied access by accident. It should be accessible now.We don't have any, unfortunately.

It looks like your companion brought up some fluid, possibly in conjunction with what caused the reverse sneezing.

I would recommend purchasing Benadryl. Your companion can take 1-2mg/pound of body weight every 8-12 hours. This should help with the reverse sneezing within a few hours of being dosed. Benadryl usually comes in 25mg and 50mg options. I would recommend 25mg as it's easier to dose for a medium breed dog. If the symptoms persist I do feel that your companion would benefit from an examination with your vet.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Thank you very much.He appeared to be very frightened with what he is experiencing and is looking rather unwell.
Is it something that can be left without intervention?

Typically these symptoms don't progress. The dog will have an episode of reverse sneezing and then go back to being normal. It seldom, if ever, reaches a point of needing medical care. I can't recall the last time I witnessed a dog needing intervention for reverse sneezing, in fact. I would have no problem leaving my own pet alone while I went to work or grocery shopping, for example, if they occasionally had reverse sneezing symptoms.

Does reverse sneezing produce a high pitch sound when dogs breathe through their mouth?
Boo Boo have small whistling sounds when he breathe through his mouth.

It can but typically the "snorting" sound we hear is more obvious. Now if you're hearing whistling when he's breathing normally that needs to be checked out.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Alright, understood.
Thank you very much.
We shall continue to observe him.