Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

We have two dogs; a male and female. Our female was recently…

We have two dogs...

We have two dogs; a male and female. Our female was recently in heat, so our male dog attempted to mate with her. about 3 days ago, we noticed our male dog was more timid and lethargic. and we noticed that his penis is swollen.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

We believe he may have injured his penis in his attempts to copulate. it's slightly swollen, it's sensitive to the touch for him, and he walks gingerly. it's been about 3 days since we noticed, and the swelling is still there

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

That is it

In terms of swelling: his penis is not protruding, but there is general swelling all throughout from the tip to his testicles. There is also a little swelling behind his testicles (Between his testicles and anus), as if there is some fluid there as well. He does not stand completely straight up anymore, and will keep his tail tucked down a bit (it seems like if he stands completely straight up, and lifts his tail, it causes some discomfort on his penis).
1/23/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time? Can you share pictures of what you're seeing? Is he urinating well? Was he able to successfully mate with the female?

He still has a normal appetite and seems okay. However, as mentioned before, he is not moving around much likely because of the soreness/pain. I do not have any pictures at the moment. He is still able to urinate fine. I do not believe he was able to successfully mate with the female.

I do think based on your description that you have good reason to have him examined and treated by your vet. There is a potential for this to be a bacterial infection that is present within the prepuce, as well as foreign material. This sometimes happens when males attempt to mate but winds up having fur or other debris stick to the penis and it then follows it back in to the prepuce. The penis also contains a bone that can be broken, but x-rays would be needed to determine if this had occurred. Additionally, your vet may wish to start NSAID/pain medication therapy and a future preputial scope may be recommended. I surmise that a course of antibiotics will be recommended, as well. If you wind up with pictures, feel free to send them along. I may be able to better assist you seeing what you are seeing.

At home, you can administer aspirin if no other medications are being given. Dosing info is available here: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse