Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

His scrotum and the skin at the opening of his penis have…

His scrotum and the...

His scrotum and the skin at the opening of his penis have gotten black over the past few months. Also he has little b÷ebee like growths on various parts of his body

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?

Benny and he is 7 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Benny?

He has seizures on rare occasions. He os a standard poodle

1/23/2018
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Is he licking or chewing at these areas?

Any problems with urination?

Is it possible for you to take a picture of those areas and post them or attach them to your next message?

Thanks for the pictures. Is the skin around the opening of the prepuce darker color, or is it the hair? It is difficult to tell from the picture.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
No his hair is white

Thanks for the information. From what I can see, especially on the scrotum, he is just experiencing changes in skin pigment, which is common as a dog ages. It is not typically a concern. If the area looks like it is developing a mass or if there are sores or redness on the area; then I would be more concerned. Sometimes dark skin pigment can develop due to hypothyroidism, so it may be a good idea to have a full thyroid panel ran if one hasn't been done recently. Watch his urine carefully. If it truly has an orangish color, then that could be a concern for certain types of anemia or excessive muscle breakdown. If is is orangish, I would have your vet check it out. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating at no additional charge. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thank you so much

You are very welcome. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian