Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Vet My Blue heeler started crying yesterday and is tender on…

Vet My Blue heeler started crying...
Vet
My Blue heeler started crying yesterday and is tender on her upper rear leg. She is not sore anywhere else and is walking slow, but normal. She can jump down off of things but not up on things. She cries if we pick her up. Now she is throwing up on the porch. Is it possible she got bruised playing with the other dog?
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Anyone going to pick this one up?
1/22/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment? Addition of medication?

Is she on any medication at this time?

How old is she?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
She will be 1 in March. Sometimes she will get a bite of steak, nothing new. She still chews on a bunch of stuff
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
My wife says she has not been eating or pooping today
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
The area where she is tender is just the upper leg on her right side in the hip area
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Is it possible that she had an obstruction??
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
The only meds is one of her tramadol left from her fixing to let her sleep last night

With the vomiting it sounds like she is experiencing a GI upset. She's rather young for arthritis but the potential does exist for these conditions to afflict young dogs. If this persists, I think it would be wise to have your vet examine her. She could potentially be bruised from rough play, as well. I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian. If the symptoms persist, yes, we'd be concerned about an obstruction from something she would have eaten a few days ago since she's prone to chewing on things.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

Once she is holding down food and water without vomiting, you can use aspirin (if needed) to help with discomfort. Dosing info is available here: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/ If she needs this for more than 1-2 days you should see your vet as other, safer, medications are on the market to help with discomfort such as canine-safe NSAIDS and pain meds (such as the tramadol you mention).

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Thank you so much

You're very welcome. Good luck!

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
She seems to be good tonight. A small lump in the area she was hurting, still a bit tender but she is eating, playing and wanting bites of steak
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thank you so much for your help!
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse