Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog got in a fight with my other dog and had a cut on his…

My dog got in...

My dog got in a fight with my other dog and had a cut on his ear that wants to bleed a lot. The wound is clotting until he digs at it or shakes. Any ideas

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is your dog bleeding a lot?

No, he’s not bleeding at all right now. But I have to hold him to make sure he doesn’t dig at his ear or shake his head. I’ve been holding him for hours. I tended the wound with a sty-tic pencil and wrapped his ear.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Phew. What is the dog's name and age?

Moshio, he is 3

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Moshio?

He has high anxiety, and tends to scratch himself constantly , we have to keep him in clothes so he won’t do this, so I’m afraid if I put him down he will get the wound going again.

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/21/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

When did this fight occur?

Can you share a picture of the wound you're seeing?

Is he wearing any bandaging material on the ear or elsewhere?

Any e-collar?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The fight happened at my house. He is wearing a bandage. And we do not have an e collar on him. The bite is on the tip of his ear. The problem is his will shake his head profusely or ram his face or ear into anything in order to itch it.

When did this fight occur?

Can you share a picture of the wound?

The way I can best help you right now is going to be seeing what is going on with your companion. Video or pictures would help greatly.

It certainly looks like he's got quite the chunk taken out of his ear. I do think a veterinary visit would be wise to get him started on antibiotics and likely pain medication, as well. This should help to keep him from shaking his head.

At home, I would recommend the following to keep the ear from splitting open and bleeding:

1) Take a non-stick pad (such as telfa) and fold it over the end of the ear. Take a cone of cotton, some cause or a tampon and place it on the inside of the ear. You want this to run from the canal past the edge of the ear to give it cushion. Wrap the ear around the tube you've made and wrap the entire ear with vet wrap. You want this snug like a bra strap or underwear band. If it's too tight it will cut off circulation and he may lose part or all of that ear.

2) Make a snood. You want it to fit like this: https://img0.etsystatic.com/000/0/5280385/il_570xN.39972730.jpg The wrapped ear and the other ear should be held down to the head without being too tight. You can fold the wrapped ear up, down, forwards or backwards, whichever is most comfortable for your companion but it needs to be under the snood. Given the size of your dog's head, consider using a pair of nylons or part of a sock to make the snood. It may help to free the unwrapped ear to hold the snood in place.

3) Place an e-collar. This not only prevents your companion from slipping the snood off of his head but it will keep the ear from being smacked around if he tries to shake his head. The snood/e-collar combo are the best protection against re-traumatizing the ear. Info here on how to make one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFWPH17u0eU

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse