Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog has some sort of rash under his tail near his anus.

My dog has some...

My dog has some sort of rash under his tail near his anus. My vet isn’t open today and wanted to know the best way to clean it and wrap it to prevent it from getting worse

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Easton he’s 4

1/21/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has he been showing these signs?

Any changes to the skin (ie pustules, pimples, crusts/scaling, ulcers, or sores)?

Has he been rubbing the area?

Does he seem sore with his backside or anal glands?

Can you take a photo of this for me to assess? To post it, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box (last icon). Or if you cannot see that, then post it on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr Instagram, etc) & paste the link here for me.

He is very sensitive when I try to lift his tail to look at it, however he's always hesitant to let me look at something when there's an issue. His backside is definitely sore. After we try to look he'll walk back to his bed with his butt tucked under him. I'm taking a photo now, one sec.

Hi again,

If he isn't too stressed by a photo that would be grand.

I will keep an eye out for that.

Dr. B.

Poor lad, that will be quite sore for him.

What we have there appears to be a moist dermatitis (bacterial infection) of the skin. They tend to be very irritated and sore but given the area affected I'd also be concerned about a possible underlying anal gland issue (infection, blockage, inflammation). So, when he is seen by his vet we'd want them to check his glands are ok. Otherwise for the moment we can start some supportive care.

First, if we could clip the hair from here (to get more air to the skin to dry it out) that'd be ideal but if the area is very sore I'd not have you do that just now. In any case, what we'd want to do is start some topical care. To do so, you can start by cleaning this 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream +/- hydrocortisone cream. The former can help keep infection away and the latter can reduce inflammation and itchiness. As well, since we need to prevent self-trauma, after all this we can put boxer shorts (backwards so there is a tail hole) on your wee one to protect this.

As well, since these rashes can be triggered by an underlying allergy, you can also consider an antihistamine at this stage. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight every 8-12 hours) to reduce allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Overall, this looks to be quite a significant moist dermatitis and I suspect he will need systemic/oral treatment from his vet to clear this but we can start the above and keep this dry to help reduce its spread/worsening until his vet is open.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** as this is the only way I am credited for my work here & allowing me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you.**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.