Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My 30 lb dog ate a small amount of my 20mg lexapro

My 30 lb dog...

My 30 lb dog ate a small amount of my 20mg lexapro pill...not even 1/4. She is taking metronidazole for colitis and pills look similar. Thankfully she spit it out.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Rosie....I'm sure she will be fine because it was a very small amount just want to make sure

1/21/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear about Rosie getting the Lexapro. If she spit it out, she will probably be OK. Give me a moment to research what side effects to watch for in case she did get some of it.

If she got as much as 1/4th of the pill, say 5 mg, you probably would not see anything. Sedation is possible at a higher dose. If she got the whole pill, you might see agitation, ataxia, tremors, vomiting, but she did not get that much.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just a small corner, yes

Then I would not expect anything, or else just mild sedation for awhile. Keep monitoring him and let me know how he is dong.

Please let me know if this is helpful and how she is doing.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

I hope you saw my responses; I have not heard back from you. How is she doing?

Please let me know if this was helpful and if you have any other questions.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Shed has been fine all day! Thanks!

You are welcome! Thanks for the great rating!

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian