Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog is a 16 1/2 year old Shitzu/Pekingese mix and

Customer Question
Hi, my dog is a...
Hi, my dog is a 16 1/2 year old Shitzu/Pekingese mix and naturally about 10-11lbs. A few months ago I notice congestion while she slept, then around December I noticed she was heaving/coughing which always ended in a dry hack. She never brings up any phlegm. And she always has to get into a standing position to caugh...never able to do this laying or sitting down.
End of December, she had a CVC which showed high White blood count and a chest X-ray to rule out heart disease. She was given Lasix on 12/26/17. I called the Vet, informed there was no change and was prescribed Clavamox 125mg on 1/5/18.
Still no change, so another CVC & X-ray showed even higher white blood count over 16k and now her Red blood count reduced and xray showed left lung lobe calapse.
Also her weight his now 9.1lbs here a few weeks ago she was almost 10lbs.
What are your thoughts and/or suggestions?
Submitted: 30 days ago.Category: Dog
1/20/2018
Dog Specialist: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 30 days ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about Sadie. If one of her lung lobes has collapsed, that could be very serious. The things that can cause this are infections, cancer, pneumonia.

It may be possible to get the lung lobe to reinflate, depending on what caused it to collapse. If this were my own dog, I would try to get a diagnosis. If there is any fluid in the chest, I would aspirate some with a needle, to examine microscopically to look for infection or abnormal cells.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
To avoid any traumatic procedures due to her age, we decided to use Theophylline 1/4 tablet 2x daily to open the bronchial. Will this help? And are my thoughts to give her a “quality” of her remaining life vs pain, surgery, exploration..etc...selfish?
Thank you.

Theophylline will help open the airways, but won't reinflate a collapsed lung. If the lung lobe stays collapsed, it may begin to decompose and then get infected. It really should be reinflated, or removed.

I can understand not wanting to put her through a lot of invasive testing. Just aspirating fluid from the lungs is not that invasive and does not require sedation.

If no further testing is to be done, I would have her on antibiotics and pain medication. The Lasix and theophylline may help with her breathing.

Dog Specialist: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 29 days ago

I did not hear back from you. How is she doing?

Please let me know if this was helpful and if I can answer any other questions.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian