Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

We have a 3 month lab puppy. From the time we brought him…

We have a 3...

We have a 3 month lab puppy. From the time we brought him home he’s had diarrhea. It ranges from soft pudding to mud. He has been seen multiple times by our vet for his regular shots. He was dewormed by the breeder and tested negative for worms by our vet. He was given flagyl initially which worked great. Once that was gone, the diarrhea returned. He’s now on a brown rice and pumpkin diet which seems to help.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations the puppy can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?

He’s extremely active. He eats well and actually always seems hungry. He drinks plenty of water. He seems like a healthy normal pup except for the diarrhea. What am I missing??

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?

His name is Bear

1/20/2018
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Diarrhea can be caused by a large number of things including an unusual treat, irritable bowel syndrome, disease, bacteria or protozoan infection. If your dog is eating and drinking normally, Kaopectate at 1 teaspoon per 5 pound every 2 - 6 hours or Imodium at 1 mg per 15 pounds one or two times a day can be given for diarrhea. Read dosage information here that states Loperamide is also dosed at 1 capsule (2 mg) per 50 pounds (25 kg) if over 20 pounds (10 kg). Since he is just a puppy, I'd hold off on medication for those times it is a sudden onset of diarrhea.

Some herding breeds like collies can have an adverse reaction to imodium so avoid using in collies and similar breeds. Canned pumpkin (not pie filling) will also absorb excess fluid in the bowel with just a spoonful added to the dog’s food. Some experts will recommend a bland diet for a few days of boiled chicken and rice.

Your dog has been tested for worms, but you don't mention him being tested for a protozoan infection such as coccidia or giardia. Flagyl is often given for giardia Here are sites on worms, coccidia and giardia, which you may find informative.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2102&aid=727

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/giardia-in-dogs/page1.aspx

http://www.beaglesunlimited.com/beaglehealth_giardiasis.htm

Depending on how long ago he was tested, your pup may have picked up worms since his visit. They are often transmitted in fecal matter and often eggs will be in dirt and on grass. Puppies tend to put everything in their mouth so that is a possibility. Tapeworms are spread by fleas and it does not take long for worms to propagate and a pup to get diarrhea.

Now since flagyl helped it is possible giardia is to blame. It is spread by cysts in the feces. The cysts end up getting in the grass and being washed off feces and into puddles where dogs and puppies drink spreading the infection. The antibiotic, flagyl, doesn't actually cure giardia but helps control the infection until the pups own immune system can fight it off. Sometimes flagyl has to be continued for a second round. In other cases a vet will prescribe a different medication such as fenbendazole or pancur. You might ask your vet about this as well.

He may also have an intolerance to an ingredient in the food you have him on. If you changed his food from what the breeder was using, you might check the ingredients and use a food with the same ingredients. To pin point the cause if it is a food allergy might require testing to find the culprit. If you switch back to the breeder's food and the diarrhea resolves that will give you a good idea of what not to feed him.

If you have any further questions concerning this matter or need clarification, please do not hesitate to respond. At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Thank you. Is it possible giardia will resolve in its own or would he need more medicine for that?

It may resolve on its own, but since it came back, I'd try at least another round of flagyl or a second medication first since he is a young puppy.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Thanks. I just called the vet and he tested negative for giardia. I’m waiting to hear back about another round of flagyl. Thank you!

Well check the food ingredients and possibly try some benadryl in case it is a food allergy. Benadryl is dosed at 1mg per pound every 8 hours. Try it for a day or two and see and see if the diarrhea continues. Besides giardia there are other protozoan infections but coccidia and giardia are the most common ones we see. In addition, if you read the article on giardia, the test looks for cysts in the fecal matter. Giardia sheds those cyst intermittently so it takes a few consecutive stool samples to be tested to rule it out completely which is probably why he put your dog on flagyl to begin with.